Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 EHD (Blue Tongue) has struck..... >

EHD (Blue Tongue) has struck.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

EHD (Blue Tongue) has struck.....

Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default EHD (Blue Tongue) has struck.....

It has devastated the deer in my area. I've seen 14 pointers, 11 pointers, 9 pointers all dead(wasted). I guess we are lucky considering it is not CWD but man this really takes the wind out of a guys sails 3 days before bow season opens up!!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: EHD (Blue Tongue) has struck.....

I've personally found six carcasses in SW PA - all victims of EHD. One (I'd presume) big buck with the head cut out - no real way to confirm whether he was a victim of disease of poaching. So, we'll say 5 EHD casualties, with one unknown.

Definitely not a good scene man.

There are a lot of 3rd, 4th, and 5th-hand reports flowing in of completedevastation (100% mortality)to the herd in isolated pockets.I put on a lot of miles, andfrankly, I think it's hogwash. Like I said, I found six.I don't believe it unless I see it with my own eyes, or see credible photographic evidence.

My advice: Don't overreact, and trust what you see. Not what you hear.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's pretty scary isn't it.

With the way things are now, I've just about lost the desireto hunt. It's actually sickening.

If you kill adeer, how do you feel about eating the animal? Here in Jersey they advise you not eat infected meat. So how the hell do you know if one is infected?(if it's not walking funny or curled up in a ball near a lake or stream)
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Virginia the department of game and inland fisheries is asking (volunteers) to bring in the heads of deer that are killed. Each head will be tested for CWD and EHD. I'm not sure how long that takes, but worth it if you have it in your area. It would suck to have to go back home and through out a bunch of venison that has already made it to the freezer, but still worth knowing.
Good luck,
KP
Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes it is devestating, i was anticipating my best season ever, we have been pasing on younger deer for about 5 years and only taking the big ones. We were getting some monsters and then came bluetounge. I have found a handful, my buddies have found alot, the DNR has reported BIG numbers found dead. I have yet to even find a rub, there usually all over the place by now []Im now predicting my worst season ever.[&o]
Old 09-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Yes this is very sad. Between me and 3 friends of mine we have found over 40 deer since August. I am worried about the reports of over 1000 deer confirmed dead so far in this small corner of sw pa plus all the deer that will be takin in hunting season..what will it be like next year with all these deer killed this year?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just found 2 deer dead a few days ago with no apparent signinjuries. One had been there a while, the other was failrly new.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

We contacted our local conservation office here in Southern Illinois and they told us "dont worry about it the deer are over populated anyway".
Old 09-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

What are the signs that the deer has it?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok .... I know I'm gonna sound like a total idiot here but what exactly is EHD ( Blue Tonuge ) , I never heard of it before until now.
I know and heard about CWD , TB and know how to look for signs of these but how do deer get EHD ( Blue Tonuge ) and what are the symptoms ?

Quick Reply: EHD (Blue Tongue) has struck.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.