Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who hunts where the does are....during the rut? >

Who hunts where the does are....during the rut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who hunts where the does are....during the rut?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Who hunts where the does are....during the rut?

During the rut.....do you target areas that hold does?

Or...what is your best strategy to hunting bucks during this time?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who hunts where the does are....during the rut?

I think hunting during the actual rut is a tough time to hunt. Trying to pattern them will be very tough. The bucks will be paired off with estrous does and they will not need to chase them.

During the pre-rut, I would definetely hunt areas that hold does.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt where the does are, and where the does are bedding and feeding. Any doe that comesin season will leave that scent trail you see bucks nose down folllowing scent hours or even days later especially in the beggining of the rut. If I see a buck on a trail like that in early rut thatis ona trail out of bow range, I get down and get set up on the ground where if another buck comes that same path I have a shot on the downwind side, the bucks let their guard down, but the Does dont. Ive taken 3 bucks that way the last 5 years.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt the edges (20-30 feet back) of feeding areas (bucks will scent checkfor does)or transition zones to feeding areas. The bucks will only have one thing on the mind during the rutand it wont be food.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problem hunting Does and I enjoy it! Each persons hunting land is different, I believe that you can't hunt the way you hunt in my woods and I can't hunt the way I hunt in your woods! State land, Private land and the hunting pressures change every aspect of it! I hunt state land here in Wisconsin and during the rut I hunt the Doe trails. This last season I had my best results on this method in seeing Bucks. I seen more Bucks than Does in fact I didn't see a Doe for an entire week! Most didn't offer shots, they would move thru pretty quick down the Doe trails and the ones that did I blew it!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

That's what I'm referring to, Bob.....but let me tell you what I witnessed, last season. I saw bucks chasing (remember the pop. issue here) from early Nov. all the way through my season. There are so many does, here.....they cant lock up with them all. There is ALWAYS an estrous doe to be had....if a buck is interested.

When my season went out, last year.....I witnessed bucks chasing on the last day......in mid-Dec. Maybe these were the late estrous does or even last year's fawn does.....but they're breedable, nonetheless.....and they're being chased.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

During the rut, even a buck does not know where he will end up that day...He will start looking for does if he isn't with one, he will find one if he doesn't have one.....Hunt the does...

I have good luck in feeding areas, it could be a crop field or oak ridge...It could be near a cutover where does bed or between bedding and feeding areas...The challenge is to be in an area where does will be and to not spook them...
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I think hunting during the actual rut is a tough time to hunt. Trying to pattern them will be very tough. The bucks will be paired off with estrous does and they will not need to chase them.

I agree 110%!!

We have so many deer here in Wisconsin, whacked buck to doe ratio, in my unit where I hunt the Does go looking for the Bucks!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM

I along with a buddy have a 60 acre plot of private property 2/3 covered with pine and thick undergrowth across the road from a small swamp and not too far from a small farm, and all the rest residential area.
Our property is all about does, they travel through and bed. We do not see bucks in the early season, but once things start to crank up, bucks start coming out of the swamp cruising for ladies and come right to us. IMO hunting right before, during and right after the primary rut is all about the does.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM

A little bit of both...... On my properties the buck and doe ranges over lap for the most part, so hunting one is almost the same as hunting the other.....

I like to set up in thick travel corridors..

Quick Reply: Who hunts where the does are....during the rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.