Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting out of stand and moving around? >

Getting out of stand and moving around?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting out of stand and moving around?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Getting out of stand and moving around?

I have a stand set up in a place that I have never hunted so im not totally positive where the deer are going but a have a pretty good idea. I was wondering if while hunting notice that the deer arnt going where I planned them walking and was thinking maybe I could crawl down out of my stand and move to a better spot and just set on the ground for a while and rattle or call. Just wondering if you guys ever move around on the ground. THANKS!!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting out of stand and moving around?

I have and it hasn't really worked for me. How about hanging another stand in a better location or moving the one you have? The deer this time of year are not moving much midday. If you do it quietly and scentlessly you can get away with it. Or move your stand, come back another day.
Just because you saw them moving in a different location doesn't mean they won't come past your current stand. It happens, I've moved locations in the past only to realise that I should have stayed put. Youguesed it the next time the deer moved past the stand I had been in.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM

Most places we hunt are like that - big timber no "real" deer trails becuase they can go anywhere. If you are close that is usually good enough. Moving our stands always seemed to bite us in the butt[:@]
Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get down on the ground every chance I get. I'm only in the stand if I'm sure my chances are good, or the ground is too loud to walk on. Go with what your gut tells you. There aren't many things that will make hunting more enjoyable than trusting you instincts and overcoming your boundaries. You have to pay even more attention to the wind and try to keep the sun in your face if possible. Take your time and use a squirrel or turkey call to justify your noises. Keep a pair of thick wool socks in your pack that have silicone on the bottoms and up the sides. They are great for moving quietly. Good luck and have fun.
KP
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 AM

one time i got down because everytime saw a deer it was about 100 yards behind me,there was a stump that they were wlkn past so i quitely made my way there,in about a half hour i killed 2,try it
Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 AM

as long as the wind is in your favor you can move... move low but the wind can kill ya.

Rattle and call .. could get them curious and headed your way but they will circle around and if the wind iswrong they will end up running the other way as soon as they get a wiff of you.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

I will normally get down and move around during the early season. I like to call it in season scouting..... As long as the wind is in your favor go for it...