Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First blood of the season x2 >

First blood of the season x2

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First blood of the season x2

Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First blood of the season x2

I finally got to sit this evening for the first time. The wind wasn't perfect, but I had to get out. I hadn't been in my stand for a minute when I had a coon walk by, and deer started appearing. I end up seeing 12 does/fawns, and 1 buck.

I told myself if a doe presented itself, I would take it. I had a doe coming in at a good clip, when I turned for some odd reason to check a licking branch/scrape behind me, and I had a doe there. I end up taking the doe behind me at 8 yards with the new G5 Striker. The doe managed to go about 50 yards before piling up. I got both lungs and the top half of the heart.

Meanwhile, the doe that was coming in steady was still on her way, she caught the trail of the doe I had just shot and started to circle downwind of me. I happened to have 2 doe tags, so I took her at 32 yards as well. The second doe I shot with a mechanical (as I only had the 1 free Striker in my quiver, my pack of them hasn't arrived from Cabelas yet).

My batteries on my camera died, so I didn't get a pic of both of 'em.

And to make things more interesting, I had a 125" 4x4 come by at 26 yards as well, you have no idea how tempting it was to fill all 3 of my archery tags in 4 minutes......

Here's a picture of the first doe.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First blood of the season x2

WOW, sounds like you had a great hunt! Busy one aye??? Congrats!!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Site Buck Guru

Nice does. What's wrong with tagging out with 2 does and a P&Y buck in the same night? Quite a feat if you ask me.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Nice does. What's wrong with tagging out with 2 does and a P&Y buck in the same night? Quite a feat if you ask me.
That is true!!!! That would of been kinda cool!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats man! but i would of had to take all three if i could.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! Yea, that buck had no clue how lucky he was. I figured 2 deer to butcher was plenty for one nite, and I've been wanting to top my biggest archery buck for a few years now. So as soon as a 136" buck presents itself, he better watch out!

I drove by another stand location well after dark on my way home, and there were 5 bucks within 150 yards of that stand. 2 of those bucks will exceed the 136" mark pretty good, so as soon as the wind cooperates I'm going to hunt those bucks.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Congrats on the eventful night. Would you have been done for the year if you had decided to take that buck?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't have been done. I can get more doe tags for archery, they're unlimited. I also have 4 rifle tags as well, 2 bucks/2 does.

My goal is to be done archery hunting by pheasant season, I run a hunting lodge, and I run out of time to hunt for myself.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

Atta kid Rammer....think I know a guy that would take some of them backstraps off yer hand too...
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Site Bouncer

Way to go Rammer!!!

Congrats on the double....it'sprettycool to double up.

Quick Reply: First blood of the season x2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.