Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Corn or Beans?? Help (PIC FIXED) >

Corn or Beans?? Help (PIC FIXED)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Corn or Beans?? Help (PIC FIXED)

Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Corn or Beans?? Help (PIC FIXED)

I need some opinions. I am hunting a block of woods that is pinched between two corn fields and an enormous bean field. Now in all honesty I have only hunted it twice this season in the evening both times. I thought I would be catching more deer heading to the beans, and I have seen some, just not many (and this area has many).

So I am interested in opinions on deer preference, beans or corn? The corn is real brown and I am surprised it has not been harvested yet and the beans are turning from green to yellow (mostly yellow near thisarea) if that helps. Any experiences or opinions couldn't hurt.

Here is a pic, keep in mind that VA season is not open and also I can not hunt directly in/overthe corn, the white line is the propery line where it borders the corn fields, however the beans are fair game, the horizontal straight line represents state line. Also lately in the evening the winds have been coming from SSE and SE, calm to moderate(8-10 mph). I have mainly hunted in the SW corner of the woodlot but I really like the area near the red NC push pin (bottle neck). Let me know if the pic doesn't work.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn or Beans?? Help

New,
Pic doesn't work for me. I've never hunted an area like that, but I used to live off of a road that had a similar sit. Sometimes they (the deer) would be in the corn, other times in the beans. Only real pattern that I think I noticed was corn in the early evening. But that I would imagine would be contributed to where they were coming out of the woods. I think I would pick an evening with a lot of moon light, like maybe this evening and get high up in a tree where maybe you can see both fields. Watch where they're coming out. They could be waiting until dark. If that is the case, you may want to spend some time watching just inside the woods near where ever they’re making their entrance to the field. Many times deer, especially bucks, will wait just inside the tree line until it is dark enough for them to feel comfortable entering the field.
I'm in VA also. If we don't get some water soon, I'll be hunting areas where trails cross streams... There is food all over this time of year, but the water is getting limited.
Good luck,
KP
Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean about the water, it sucks but at least there are hardly any mosquitos. I could see the pic when I typed the post but when I hit preview and when I posted it it just shows a red-X(I think I fixed it). I will be hunting there tomorrow, I get off at lunch so I should be able to find a good tree, the SW corner whereIhave been might have a tree I can see at least some of both fields, I'll scope it out tomorrow. Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should probably just use Scent-Lok!!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 AM

They beans will be good for only a limited time as they turn more yellow. Seems the deer tend to stay away from them then. This is also a time when the acorns should be dropping. Not sure how up to date your arial photo is, but what I see are some pine thickets scattered in among some hard woods. Find the oaks that are producing and look for sign. The deer seem to prefer these to either corn or beans. If I am reading the arial wrong then I would hunt the beans till early October up to say the 10th, then switch to the corn field.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM

We have beans and corn and hay on our property.. There is no pattern to their appetitie. It's whatever they feel like having.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Corn or Beans?? Help (PIC FIXED)

I would hunt the edges by the corn. I am not a fan of beans. I really think they are over rated at least in my area. Corn offers the food and cover.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

I think it really is all about your location. I also hunt a piece of property where two cornfields are near a beanfield. The corn here in Michigan is the worst I have ever seen during my lifetime. This is the first year they have grown beans since about 4 years ago and it is always grown in the same single field. Since then that single field has been corn. 4 years ago I lived on that piece of property where I still hunt today and those deer on that property lived in that beanfield!! The biggest deer and the most deer I have ever seen hunting or scouting have been in that field. Im hoping this year they respond to the soybean like they did the last time it was grown. Maybe its the variety im not sure but its going to be my biggest point of interest this season. good luck to ya!!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Site Buck Guru

I would try hunting in the mouths of the funnel (green dots). I don't like to hunt right in the funnel because it can cause the deer to circumvent it and travel around it out in the open field. I've seen them do this once they've detected humans in the funnel.

PS. You've got a couple of nice inside corners to watch in these locations.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate the input guys. I really like this spot and I definitelydon't want to overhunt while it is so hot but I want to get out there at least a couple of more times..

GregH, Ithink those spots are definitely prime, I have been looking atthat area on Windows Live in the birds-eye view format and it really shows the breaklines in the pines and harwoods well. It is fairly wide across the 2 inside corners on the N. Carolina side (a little over 200 yds), I am thinking that I mightbe able toget 2 stand sites out of it to better hunt the wind (maybe 1near each inside corner). I will give it a whirl tomorrow and I'llkeep that tip in mind about not crowding the funnel and staying near the mouths. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Corn or Beans?? Help (PIC FIXED)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.