Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Advice needed badly! >

Advice needed badly!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice needed badly!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Advice needed badly!

I got three boys learning the sport of archery. Two of them are left handed and they both shoot a gun left handed but for some strange reason shoot better right handed for bow. I was reading in a bow hunting mag that they should be shooting with their dominant eye no matter what hand is dominant. Well the oldest who is left handed and shoots a gun left handed is left eye dominant, but he cannot shoot a bow left handed as nearly as good as he can right handed. Does it really matter?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice needed badly!

They say that you should shoot dominant eye, but if you shoot with your dominant hand you will need to train to use your non dominant eye. I started bowhunting when I was 13. I am left eye dominant and right handed. I shoot guns left handed. At the time I could not afford to buy a left handed bow as I was using a right handed hand me down, I spend one whole season with a patch over my left eye until I could shut it to aim with my right. Today, I can afford to get a left handed bow, but I am so much more comfortable shooting right handed. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 PM

it doesnt matter,im right eye dominant and i shoot left handed,i have taken a fair share of deer with archery equiptment so no it doesnt matter
Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm right handed, but I shoot left handed because I'm left eye dominant also. I can shoot much betterlefthanded that right. I would recommend that your sons try shooting with their dominant eye. It might take a while to get used to this way of shooting, but they should be able to see the sights much better, and become more accurate.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

How old are they? If they are about 8 or below, I's say don't worry about it and try to just make it fun for them (most important), work on enthusiasm and attitude toward archery. If you find that they are cross dominant after about 9 or so, then switch them to their dominant side. Kids can adapt much easier then adults. Really. Below is a pic of my son shooting right handed, and then a few years latter shooting left (after we found his dominant eye).

Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started right handed at the age of 12 and ended up switching when i found my left eye to be dominant. I shoot alot better now! It took alot of getting use to. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

i am right handed left eye dom. i shoot both guns and bow right hands and i am dead on great groups with bow i just think you have to have your own gun and bow and any change and me sighted out.

I once noticed me and my dad where shoot ing a ar15and if he sighted it it was off for me and if i sighted it it was off for him you can also train your self
Old 09-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Im the same way. I shoot my guns lefty and my bow righty. I have no problem except difficulty with both eyes open for archery. I tried shooting my bow lefty and it was very awkward feeling.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 AM

thanks everyone i appreciate this info greatly
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am right handed, but left eye dominant and shoot a bow right-handed, and carried a 56-58X average on my indoor leagues (when I had a place to shoot indoors) I just have to keep my non shooting eye closed.
Ido most of my wing shooting with ashotgun left-handed, both eyes open just because it gives me a bigger field of view and somehow my right hand usualy ends up on the fore stock, yet I shoot just as well or a hair betterright-handed on the skeet or trap range.
My son is left handed, left eye dominant, But he shot his first 300 with a right handed bow on a league one winter long after he had been shooting left handed.
So I belive shooting with what is comfortable, outweighs one eye being slightly stronger as long as you can keep the dominant non shooting eye shut or covered up (some people cant wink).
However, I do see an advantage to shooting with both eyes open (dominant eye) if you are shooting instinctive or traditional.

Quick Reply: Advice needed badly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.