Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Success! Doe Down! >

Success! Doe Down!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Success! Doe Down!

Old 09-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Success! Doe Down!

Got out for the second time this season this afternoon. Last Sat was the opener, saw a couple does just at last light and let them walk. Tonight, I set my climber up in a white oak and it was raining acorns all around. Don't know how I avoided being beaned. The wind was okay, kind of cross wind, but I still expected deer to come from either the south west or the woods to the east,but didn't see any movement. About 10 min to 6, I don't know where she came from, but I saw a doe silently working her way into my shooting lane off to my left. I was already standing and put my pin right on her shoulder, but I forgot to compensate for yardage. I was set at 25 yards and she came in about 20, and she took a step just as I let it fly. I knew I hit her, followed her with my eyes and saw her push another deer or 2 that were with her. I saw her circle around and dissappear about 40 yards away. I thought I heard her crash, so I figured it was a good hit and she's down. Surprisingly, when I got down, I didn't find my arrow. Uh oh, here comes that bad luck I'm thinkin.

I packed up my climber and walked back to the truck, grabbed my coleman lantern, and forgot my camera, lol. I gave it about 45 min, then tried to pick up the trail. I was feeling kinda sick, didn't see my arrow or find any....wait a second, there's a small splotch of bright red blood. Okay, its a hit. The trail was sporadic, all I found were single drops or specs every 5 to 10 yards. I marked every drop with some TP and I could visualize the route the deer took. I lost the trail for a while, and called a buddy. Its pitch black out now. I figured we might end up doing an early morning tracking exerciseinstead of hitting the range tomorrow. After I called him, probably 15 yards from the last drop, there are 2 more drops! Okay, I'm thinking this is around where I heard the crash, but didn't see any more blood. I went around a small stand of trees trying to be sure not to disturb any sign and there she was! By the time I got done dragging I figured I'm not gonna get any decent pics, so I didn't bother, sorry... I gotta say, reading up on what to do after the shot really helped out. This was one thin blood trail. She was laying in a pool of blood tho, and there was an exit wound, so I may just have to go lookin for that arrow another day.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Success! Doe Down!

[/align]Good story. Congrats. Glad to hear it was a good hit after all.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! where did you hit here? what kind of head was you using?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good story, Congrats on the deer.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations. I love a story that ends well!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buck_master_101

Congrats! where did you hit here? what kind of head was you using?
I hit her a little high and back, exit was lower. I believe I clipped the top of one lung and right thru the other. I was using a Muzzy 4 blade.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

congrats on the doe man maybe youll get a buck out the same spot seeing how deer love those oak trees
Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I gotta say, reading up on what to do after the shot really helped out.
That's why it is pinned to the top. I love that thread. I pick up little bits and pieces of tips every year. Everyone that contributes is really helping our fellow hunters to succeed.

Congratulations RISS.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go on your doe, RISS. Neat story to go along with it too. Congtats on some fine eatin.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go RISS--While I waiting on my season--the stories shore keep me pumped!!

Quick Reply: Success! Doe Down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.