Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what mineral block to buy >

what mineral block to buy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what mineral block to buy

Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what mineral block to buy

i am wont your thought on what mineral block to buy salt only a mix or what in ky i bought a small evolved habitat sweet corn block and apple block they loved it and i got a plan white salt block they did not seem to like it what should i get

also have any of you tryed block topper the stuff that gets hard that your pour over the salt i tryed it once but it did not set and the rain washed it away

also i just wont to knwow hat to use not wether it is ethical or legal or what it should be i do not plan to have it next to my stand just something for the deer to help them through our drought and the winter
Old 09-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what mineral block to buy

You're at the wrong time of year for the deer to be on minerals (salt). Do a search for a mineral "recipe"....and make your own. I make 200#'s for $27.

Put it out 3 times a year.....but you'll get MOST activity on mineral sights during Summer months. Mamas using it to aid in lactating.....and daddy rabbits using it for antler growth and general nutrient supplementation.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

I cant remember the brand but its the cheap one walmart sells. Around 3 bucks I think it was. They come in apple acorn and something else. I put out the acorn one last year and they loved it.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I set it out 15 yards from my tree stand and used it as a yardage marked also. First year bow hunting and didn't get one. They loved the block but never licked it when I was in the tree.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:42 PM

What GMMAT said. Wrong time of year. Late winter is the time to put minerals out, then refresh periodically throughout the spring and early summer.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:21 PM

If your going to buy something now you should get something with a flavor like persimmon. I think the people that make deer cane also make a block of mineral and persimmon. Salt is not there attractant but apple or persimmon will bring them in.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 PM

The trophy Rock