Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

women's scent

Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 PM

Default RE: women's scent

Barth, obviously, you have no daughters'. 14 not too young for her situation. It's a genuine question she deserves an honest answer. Maybe some lady hunters out there could give her some insight
Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

edit
Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RHanbaum

Barth, obviously, you have no daughters'. 14 not too young for her situation. It's a genuine question she deserves an honest answer. Maybe some lady hunters out there could give her some insight
your correct i dont
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

PM Vicky in the AC thread...If you can......
No probs here my Daughter is 24 and loves to bow hunt........It was a good ?......
Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Hey that's ok, and Badger Girl, I forgot about DDW products. BV does indorse them. Try the Archers Choice forum, lots of women hunters on there. They might have better info. Sorry about the 14 thing, just going off an earlier post. My daughter is the same as you. Good Luck this year.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard some lady hunters say that during their periods they tended to see more bucks and figured it was due to the female estrous scent. This cannot be correct. Having studied Biology I can tell you if the women produce an estrous scent it would be approx. 14 days after their period begins when they are most fertile. That being said there may be some attraction to the scent of blood I don't know.
Sorry if this was a little graphic.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have read some stories about this, but I believe they are just myths. Proper scent management is key with any hunt. Good luck badger. I have no daughters, but if I did I would be thrilled if they were as into bowhunting as you seem to be.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys call out that she’s 14 and act as though that means that she’s immature. When I read through the responses it is you guys that are acting immature. That is a really good question. In fact, if I were a women, I’m pretty sure I’d be really interested in getting that one answered also.

Badgergirl,
I’ve heard that the smell that a women puts out that will attract big game animals, such as a buck in the rut, would be your urine at the time in which you’re ovulating. That is when you’re body and your hormone levels are optimal for you to become pregnant and the males in the area know. I would guess that other females in the area would be repelled by the smell if they’re not ovulating, because they don’t want to be roughed up by a big buck in a case of mistaken identity.

I would assume that when you are actually menstruating you’re hormone levels are back to normal and the only scent would be that of blood. And I’d have to imagine that there is nothing about the smell of blood that would attract a herbivorous animal.

Everything I just wrote is simply stuff I’ve heard or talked to people about, or even assumed on my own. You should do some research and find out for yourself. I’d be interested in hearing what you find.

Good luck,

KP
Old 09-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

This topic usually comes up in some form at least once a year. It's the theads where guys are thinking about raiding the bathroom wastebasket after used hygine products that scare me. [][:'(]

I have actually killed more deer during that certain time of the month. Maybe only because I'm cranky and more likely to drop the string or pull the trigger on something.

At all times I seem to be able to get away with a littlemore when it comes to scent. I rarely actually have deer downwind smell me and freak out. Sometimes they leave, other times they will actually come my way. I do use a cover scent (deer tarsals and acorn wafers), wash with apple scented soap and make sure my clothing is always free of contaminating scent. Maybe that's what they smell. I hope that's what they smell!

Guys smell. Not neccessarily bad. But I'm sure most women will agree with me. Women can work out, get sweaty and stinky, but still not be anywhere asaromatic as a guy. Perhaps, even at a 'clean' level deer think guys are stinkier.

I read a study once that had men and women handle fishing lures. Fish were much more likely to bite on the lures handled by women. Do we smell better, or just smell less?? Food for thought.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I know it repels my game!!! dont know about the deer

Quick Reply: women's scent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.