Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too Many hunters... >

Too Many hunters...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too Many hunters...

Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too Many hunters...

I know that the number of hunters is declining, but I don't see it here in Michigan. Everywhere I look there are more and more people getting into bowhunting. And when you walk through the woods you'll usually see a couple of other hunters.

I think part of the problem is that the available land to hunt on is shrinking (due to pop-up subdivisions and strip malls) while the number of hunters is going up. I know I'm supposed to be trying to recruit morebowhunters, but to be honest I think there are too many already (at least where I hunt).

One thing for sure - I'm happy to see the slowdown in the real estate market. I'm sick of losing prime hunting spots to developers...

Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Too Many hunters...

I doubt your seeing more hunters, yes more bowhunters but they are already probably gun hunters converting too.

Alot has to do with the availability of "package" bows etc with the more readily available "shops" like Walmart, Bass Pros, Cabelas and Gander Mountains poping up. Many of these new "bowhunters" might not have frequented a mom and pop pro shop/store but walk by the archery equipment every time in the "big" chain stores. They pick up a bow, shoot and think I can do this.

As hard as it can get hunting deer with a gun in a crowded woods, it's ten fold as hard with a bow. I feel for anyone in an overcrowded neck of a woods.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think there could ever be too many hunters. Also, the trend is a decline in hunters nation wide. People don't want to see their children growing up and being responcible with weapons. Aparently they just want the criminals to have them. It's not like it used to be. As kid's we grew up around hunting and land was avalible everywhere. Now it's harder and harder to find land. And those of us who grew up on 100 acers and hunted right off the back yard now have 1/2 acer lots cause it's all we can afford. So our kids won't grow up with it unless we go out of our way to preserve our way of life. Just my $0.02
Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

I read an interesting articalin a WI based hunting mag. It stated that for every 100 hunters that the sport loses every year only about 45 to 50 are replaced with new.

I tell you around me there is nothing as far as hunters go. I have more people ask to duck hunt my prop then I do deer hunt. Infact I didn't have any this year.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 PM

I can appreciate what you say, but more taking up bowhunting can only be a good thing for the sport. I am fortunate to live in a state where public land is very plentiful, such as 3 million acres of state forrest as a start, and there is more than enough land not to get crowded. I never see anyone else bowhunting when I go, outside of my one hunting buddy.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Being from PA you'll get no argurement from me. There are WAY too many hunters in this state, but saying that makes me a bad guy. I have no qualms about PA losing numbers, we have too many.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want the sport to grow too. But where are all these new hunters going to hunt? The loss of habitat is astounding. Between the Walmarts, subdivisions, individual houses, golf courses, schools, etc it seems like everywhere you look, good hunting land is being developed.

More and more hunters on less and less land isn'tgonnawork very well IMO. That's all I'm sayin...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 PM

i have to agree there r wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to many hunters where im from,i wish there wasnt so many honestly
Old 09-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

More and more hunters on less and less land isn'tgonnawork very well IMO. That's all I'm sayin...

I totally agree. We are losing an average of 3 million acres of habitat a year to urban growth, and I don't see it ever slowing down. Can you even imagine what it will be like in 20,30,50 years?! I doubt that many will be able to hunt at all. [&o]