Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BLUE TOUNGE in Southern Illinois >

BLUE TOUNGE in Southern Illinois

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BLUE TOUNGE in Southern Illinois

Old 09-21-2007, 07:53 AM

Default BLUE TOUNGE in Southern Illinois

I have been hearing horror stories of more and more deer being found dead on farms near ponds and creeks here in southern illinois. This happened here a few years ago when our summer was dry. again we have had a very dry year to date. I am told that this is caused by a parasite, ie; fly bites.They say it causes swelling in the neck area that causes suffication, but the deer are found by water sources because they become dehydrated and are searching for water. Anyone else hearing of this, or any biologist out there that can explain this. One friend of mine found 16 deer in two weeks.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:07 AM

Default RE: BLUE TOUNGE in Southern Illinois

I haven't seen too many running around the work place either, I' going to call R&G and see if he knows anything.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

in western illinois iv found 2 deer this week in a creek bed dead a doe and a decent 10 point i believe died of blue tounge.....bad deal
Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was down by our property in Saline county over labor day weekend and we walked the pond and the creek that runs through it and we didn't find any!! Walt
Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Been having more and more reports here in southern Indiana too.It really sucks. I have a feeling were going to lose our urban (early) archery season next year. It's intended to help reduce the population in urban counties but with theEHD going around we might not need itanymore.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 AM

so the deer get some parasite and suuffocate and this is blue toungue?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

There have been over a hundred deer found dead here in White county.

Dan
Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Wow Dan, thats terrible. I'm about 2 hrs north in Crawford and I hope its not as bad here.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM

If I am correct, the disease or infection is caused from agnat or a fly bite. It causes severe swelling in the neck and around the hoofs. Often when found, the deer will have large splits or lacerations around their hoofs, and sometimes around their hocks. There is swelling in and around the throat, causeing the tounge to swell and turn color, hince the Blue Tounge, the deer are often found near a water source. Have not been able to get in touch with our local biologist at Crab Orchard Refuge. This happened here a few years ago. Usually as mentioned earlier when it is hot and dry,
Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

While pheasant hunting in Iowa about 5 years ago or so I seen afew deer affected by this and it is a devastating way to die.

Quick Reply: BLUE TOUNGE in Southern Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.