Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many people have missed a Booner? >

How many people have missed a Booner?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many people have missed a Booner?

I saw this thread on another website and there were some great stories, so I thought I would post the question here as well.

Fortunately, knock on wood, I've yet to miss a buck. However, on two occasions last year while taking the 30 minute long treck to my spot during the rut, I did have two amazing encounters with a 160" ten and 180"plus nontypical. It seems every morning I make that drive to the farm, it's like running the gauntlet! You never know when one will pop out in the road in front of you! Talk about the show of a lifetime, these deer were no more than 30 yards away from our now "stopped truck" and with our brights on, it's as if they knew they were "on stage" putting on a show for us taking their good old time dogging does back and forth across the county roads we were on. Knowing perfectly well it wasn't legal shooting time yet, they trotted off out of range of our brights and into the woods. Those two encounters lasted around 30 seconds each. Talk about getting pumped up, my father, brother-in-law, buddy from work and myself were all in the truck with our jaws on the floor. Unfortunately, those two sitings happened to be during a full moon, and based on the rest of day on both of those occasions, they must have done all their running around at night under that full moon, b/c we didn't see a whole lot of anything the rest of the day. Still a great day nontheless!

This is the closest a Booner ever came to one of my stands, that I know of anyway!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How many people have missed a Booner?

I've never seen a deer in the wild that would go 110".

Not even SEEN one.......
Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Last year I hit a twig that I had not noticed right about 10 yards in front of me. I was shooting at a 160" class buck.(biggest ive seen while hunting). Before that buck I had not missed in 15 tries. I was sick for a week. Now, I just think that buck must have something or someone looking out for him.LOL. Makes me feel a little better anyways.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did[&o]The story is to painfull to repeat[:@]

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I missed a 180-ish non typical mule deer. Shot right overhis back.I still can replay it over in my head as if i were reliving it all over again. [:@]
Old 09-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

never even seen a booner in the woods......maybe one day
Old 09-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Had a 160-170(not good at judging just going by what i have seen on here)12 pointer 35-40 yards out last year, problem was i just shot a small 6 point 2 minutes before he came through,everyone tells meI should have shot it anyways and left the other, but i think i made the right decision and would do it again, if it happened. Anyways it was taken on the last day of gun season by the land owners neighbor. Just great to have seen something that big.

Rich
Old 09-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have never even seen a booner buck in the wild. Hopefully when I do I will be able to keep my cool.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:17 PM

No one ever believes me when i say this....but here it goes..

Three years ago at about 8:30AM i got what i would say would be about 150-160 class come in to twenty yards on the rattle bag. Drew back nervous as HE** and my release loop broke. Arrow sailed way over the top of the buck. I knocked another arrow but by this time he was GONE!!! Ill never forget that one.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

No booners but I havemissed a 160" class buck. (choke!)

I had a 190-200" class typical (I'm dead serious. It was a huge, awesome buck) stand, in front of me, slightly quartering awayat 40 yards for several long, agonzing minutes. It had busted out of a willow thicket, chasing does and out into the cut corn field in front of me.

40 yards was too far. So I just stood and drooled. To this day, I'm glad I didn't take the shot.

Quick Reply: How many people have missed a Booner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.