HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Opening in flight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/207706-opening-flight.html)

Jim_IV 09-19-2007 09:08 AM

Opening in flight

I have heard a few guys mention that there Rage 2 blades are opening in flight and going a little crazy in the air. I recently purchased a package of these and was wondering how the blades are supposeto fit behind the rubber washer. I believe I have it right but if someone could maybe post a pic or a good description that would be great. It feels to me that my blades are not "locked in" and that they could come open at any point.

Dr Andy 09-19-2007 10:35 AM

RE: Opening in flight

There's a little ledge in the base of the blade that snugs up over the o-ring. The o-ring only lasts a shot or two but use fresh ones when hunting. I've never had one open prematurely. You shuold feel a shap as it goes over the o-ring giving you a friction fit. Good Luck!

*JB* 09-19-2007 10:42 AM

I also bought these heads to try out this year. I am certain I am putting them behind the O-Ring correctly. However, it seems as though they just come open when I am showing them to someone. They actually kind of have me worried to carry them into the field.

Rick James 09-19-2007 10:45 AM

I snap those blades over the bottom ring, then give the arrow the old spin test on my fingers. If you want extra insurance, you can buy those little rubber bands for Rocket broadheads and use needle nose pliers to put them over the blades as well.

Jim_IV 09-19-2007 10:52 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Matt I appreciate the pic, it really helped to put it into perspective. I believeI am doing it right. Great tip for giving the arrow a little spin test as well.

Rick James 09-19-2007 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

Thanks for the help guys. Matt I appreciate the pic, it really helped to put it into perspective. I believeI am doing it right. Great tip for giving the arrow a little spin test as well.
Honestly, get the extra bands for these heads if you can. They are only an extra few $$$ and will ensure that they don't open prematurely.

mathews outback 09-19-2007 12:58 PM

r these broadheads as good as advertised?

Jim_IV 09-19-2007 01:01 PM

A lot of people I have talked to claim that they are. Others say that they are not worth a crap. Just everyones own opinion I guess

RHanbaum 09-19-2007 01:04 PM

Watch the Drury Videos, I know they are sponsors, but they have taken some awesome animals with them. Pretty impressive. Gonna try em.

Deer902 09-19-2007 01:37 PM

I bought extra o-rings at Lowes, $1.49 for 10 of them. I just shot a doe on Monday with the 2 blade. I have never seen a hole so big on a deer before. She only went 30 yards and dropped. So far so good with these new heads.

Jim_IV 09-19-2007 01:39 PM

Deer902, you had no problems with the blades opening while they had an extra rubberband on them?

mathews outback 09-19-2007 01:52 PM

do they fly like fieldpoints ?

Rick James 09-19-2007 01:55 PM

Yes, provided you have a tuned bow they fly like field points and leave hatchet wounds on deer. I shot 3 deer with them last year and the pic below shows the smallest of the entrance holes on the three deer I shot......unfortunately I don't have pics of the other 2.

Jim_IV 09-19-2007 01:58 PM

Thats Rick James B*%&@!!!

standsleeper 09-19-2007 02:02 PM

[/align]
[blockquote]If I had never tried the Snypers, they still wouldn't be worth another look. I have tried the snypers. I know how good the Rage heads could be. So IMHP, they're crap.[/blockquote]

Rick James 09-19-2007 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

[/align]

[blockquote]If I had never tried the Snypers, they still wouldn't be worth another look. I have tried the snypers. I know how good the Rage heads could be. So IMHP, they're crap.[/blockquote]

Could you restate that in english? :D[8D]

Dr Andy 09-19-2007 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Deer902

I bought extra o-rings at Lowes, $1.49 for 10 of them. I just shot a doe on Monday with the 2 blade. I have never seen a hole so big on a deer before. She only went 30 yards and dropped. So far so good with these new heads.
Make sure the O-rings are exactly the same. some look close but won't work!

jmbuckhunter 09-19-2007 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I snap those blades over the bottom ring, then give the arrow the old spin test on my fingers. If you want extra insurance, you can buy those little rubber bands for Rocket broadheads and use needle nose pliers to put them over the blades as well.

That is exactly what I did. I posted about it a while back.

Mr. Longbeard 09-19-2007 10:02 PM

It amazes me how people will shoot these mech broadheads even after they have given you doubtsI've never put a muzzy broadhead on one of my arrows thinking "I hope these thing do what there suppost too"

My buddy called me up the other day telling me about his doe he shot... Shot was like 15 yards and he siad he hit her right behing the shoulder... He said he gave her 20 minutes and then he went to look for her... He said he found decent blood but when he walked up on her she was still alive... He said he had to take another shot... I shot 3 deer this week and all 3 were done in 10 seconds and the farthest ran 60 yards...

I hot a 5pt yesterday at about 12 yards... I don't know what happened but I shot high... My broadhead clipped the artery that runs under the spine... Deer ran maybe 50 yards and left a pretty easy blood trail... I could of been shooting one of those rage heads and hit the deer so that the blades opend parallel to the spine missing the artery... I think I'll stick with my 4 bladed Muzzy's;)

Dr Andy 09-19-2007 10:12 PM

I've shot the muzzy's for 4 years,great BH's. I;m trying the Rage 2-blades,I love how the fly. Ive always had trouble grouping them w/ my FP's. So I'd practice w/ BH's and tear up targets. Now I can practice w/ FP's and then put them on and hunt. If they don't work out for me in the field I still have a few Muzzy's to fall back on!

Mr. Longbeard 09-19-2007 10:41 PM

No matter what head I'm using I will always practice with it... All I shoot is my muzzy's broadheads all year round... I can't remember the last time I practiced with practice points... I've torn up quite a few 3-D targets in my time:D

Deer902 09-20-2007 08:11 PM

I didn't have the gumband on when I shot my deer. I just had a new o-ring on because I lost the extra pack that came with my broadheads. They do wear out so you caneither shift them so that the wear spotis in a different lcation or buy new ones. I believe they are size #47 at Lowes. I do like the second rubber band idea and I think I am going to put them on as soon as I can find bands that small.