Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scared of coyotes? >

Scared of coyotes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scared of coyotes?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default Scared of coyotes?

While reading the thread on carrying a sidearm while bowhunting, I was amazed at the amount of hunters mentioning coyotes as being a reason to carry. Surely you guys jest. Loose dogs are much more of a threat in my opinion because they have been domesticated or were at one time and lose their fear of humans. Coyotes...........nah.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scared of coyotes?

I'm pretty mad at Coyotes right now![:@] Scared? Never!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never been scared of yotes. They are in fact an amazing animals and in PA, any sign of humans and they get gone fast. The only time I even second guessed was a time we were set up on a wounded doe in the darkness and the yotes started circling us.

Yote, nah like CM said, domestic dogs are more of an issue. I don't think I"ve ever heard of a human/yote casuality or attack. There is nothing in the wild wood of PA that I even think twice about. Black bears flea quick too, all you need to do is make a little noise.

The only thing scary in my PA woods would be another human. I can handle them.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Site Bouncer

I've hunted them a lot and I've got to know their behavior pretty well. An attack on a human while I can't say never happened would be very...very unlikely...I've never heardof one.

I posted a story not too long ago about having coyotes howling and running around me about 35-40yds awayin the pitch black of night after I just made it in time to my downed doe that just had her tail bit off.

That's just about as aggressive as they will get with humans......letting you know they aren't happy....from a distance. They will keep their distance if you are moving about. I have had them run through my camp site while in my tenton a few occasions though.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes are cowards. That's why they stay alive so well.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

To have 3 or 4 yotes parallel your movement through the woods isa bit out of character don't you think. I am one of those wimps that will every now and then carry a pistol in my pack. I have seen hundreds of bear and they all ran when they saw me except for two. They were smaller 150 to 200lbs bear. They could have cared less that I was there. Not to mention the porcupines. Try and share a tree stand with one of them.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:07 AM

i have had coyotes parallel me through the woods while tracking deer. but i don't believe that they will hurt you.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Coyotes no, snakes kinda.... we got alot of them in Louisiana...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:53 AM

The only coyote that would be a threat would be a rabid one and you could probably kick the thing hard enough to kill it if you had to.

Now if you're in Cougar country like I am, you have reason to be wary. Having had an up close an personal (and killed it) with one I can tell you first hand that these critters mean business. Amazing piece of muscle, teeth and claws.. and they taste just like pork!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

FYI: There were a few attacks on humans in the recent months. Remember the 2 attacks in NJ recently, so I would say it would never happen!

Quick Reply: Scared of coyotes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.