Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who's packin' heat while bowhunting? >

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Bow in hand and gun on my side
24.32%
Always packing heat; no matter what
23.65%
Gun stays in the house
52.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Default RE: Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

I tried to resist, but this thread was like a car wreck and I couldn't look away!

I don't carry one, but I understand why some do based on your stories. I am very comfortable carrying a pistol, I carried one for 8 years in the Army and now I teach government civilians which end is the pointy one before they go play in the sand. Even with a minimum of 12 hours training, its still amazing how many times some yahoo cooks one off into the clearing barrel, drops the magazine and cooks another one off and wonders why.

Moral of the story is don't get complacent, even if you feel comfortable with one. Stay safe guys.

Ken
Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Default RE: Who's packing' heat while bow hunting?

xd9 on me
Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Plus One

Even with a minimum of 12 hours training, its still amazing how many times some yahoo cooks one off into the clearing barrel, drops the magazine and cooks another one off and wonders why.
LOL... I personally witnessed a LT do that in Bosnia about 10 years ago with a Beretta outside the chow hall!!!Classic! One of the funniest things I have ever seen, especially the SGM smacking him upside the head and taking the weapon from him.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Glock 27 (40 cal) is excellent for concealment.

I have gone with heat in the past, and will continue to do so as the situation/location dictate.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

There was a time in this country when it was illegal not to carry and it wasn't just for your own protection. It was so you could protect others. The "climate" does seem to be getting worse and I'm no one to long for the good old days, they had their own problems. People just seem to be on the brink of violent behavior. Sweet, kind retired kindergarten teachers, violently hating certain politicians (I knowone). Signs of the times for me. Can't blame people for wanting to provide for themselves what they believe is protection. There is a county in Ohio represented here by an outfitter with a reputation of being very unsafe because of meth dealers. I don't go there, but do have some options to go. Not worth it to me.Hand guns are an accident waiting to happen. Life without them is to be a victim. Some world we've made for ourselves.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Carry my Kimber 45 with meall the time. A couple years ago here in my home county in IL a meth cook pulled an AK 47 on a couple guys riding 4 wheelers on my property. They left as fast as they came. The ole boys hikes down the road and jacks some lady with a baby in the car. Has the lady drop him off about 15 miles away.
I like the way Uncle Ted says it. A good offender is a dead offender! And to the gentleman who is making fun of people by saying they watch too many movies. You better wake up and watch the morning news. This world is more wicked than any woods full of bears and yotes. Some guy who legally carries may save your life the next time your at the mall shopping with your family and some idot decides to play shooting gallery.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

I've got my bow and thats all I need where I hunt. Besides its illegal in Illinois while bowhunting. If I hunted grizzly or timberwolf country I'd probably carry as well.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glock 19 9mmor a Kel Tec P3at 380 acp is always on me.

Rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Rather be judged by 6 then carried by 12.

Murphy's law. What can go wrong will go wrong.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 AM

Some guy who legally carries may save your life the next time your at the mall shopping with your family and some idot decides to play shooting gallery.
My thoughts exactly. Good point.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:58 AM

Ilive in Ill where it is Illegal to carry a weapon when bow hunting but I am sure there are many that do. I am authorized to carry a conceal weapon, I don't wear it when I go to Wally World( maybe I should that old lady ran into my cart).I don't wear it to church (maybe I should the preacher said I was a sinner) those are fighting words. My point is when I go bowhunting, it means just a bow. I am sure there are meth labs in the woods, if there are cooking it you can smell it a mile away, so turn around and get out.

Quick Reply: Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.