Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How accurate do you feel you should be? >

How accurate do you feel you should be?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How accurate do you feel you should be?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:57 AM

Default How accurate do you feel you should be?

I was out target practicing last night and was wondering what diameter size circle should a person be able to consistently shoot at 20yds/30yds before attempting to go hunting?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How accurate do you feel you should be?

In my opinion, if you can't consistently hit a 4" circle at the yardage you plan on hunting, you shouldn't go. I am pretty hard on myself but I dont want to spend all that time in the field and not be confident at the moment of truth.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be like Germ, he can knock a dingle berry of a gnats ar$$ at 30 yards!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not trying to sound holier than thou..but the old pie plate mentality isn't gonna cut it..I'd say a you better be cutting or very close to2" circle at those ranges. I wouldn't feel confortable with any less.

Things happen when hunting live quarry, you have to have confidence you can hit where your aiming. Because when emotions hit.. that 2" circle may become 4" which is much better than a 4" circle becoming 8"..etc
Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, gr8 nailed it... I've come to accept the 1" rule for every 10 yards as being fairly proficient, e.g., 1" groups at 10 yards, 2" groups at 20 yards, 3" groups at 30 yards, etc.

Can you go hunting and be "proficient" with less? Sure. Most of the guys I hunt around can't come anywhere close to this standard... but that's what I aim for, and can maintain pretty well.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Yep, gr8 nailed it... I've come to accept the 1" rule for every 10 yards as being fairly proficient, e.g., 1" groups at 10 yards, 2" groups at 20 yards, 3" groups at 30 yards, etc.

Can you go hunting and be "proficient" with less? Sure. Most of the guys I hunt around can't come anywhere close to this standard... but that's what I aim for, and can maintain pretty well.
yep i agree too,i try to be as close as possible at all ranges but i use the above as a guide..................
Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM

I agree, the ol pie plate theory is history, especially with compounds. With the technolgy designed into todays bows, they are a precision instrument / weaponand with the Proper Practice, you are able to get very proficient very fast. The one inch rule is a good start!!! When takeing the life of an animal, you need to be as proficient as posible, we don't need to give the ANTI's anymore ammo, they fabricate enough as it is!!! Have a great season!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Spike

I agree with the 1" per 10 yards rule - that is pretty good. Although I push myself to be around 2" at 30 and not much more than that for 40, maybe 3 inches at most - actually 30 to 35 is my limit for letting one go at game time.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

The one inch rule is the truth - there is no excuse with today's technology to not strive for this level of proficency! The only reason that people are not more accurate is because they do not practice - no excuses!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I agree but I tend to hold myself to a higher degree as I am my biggest competitor. I'm not happy if it isn't 2" at 40 yards and even 50 at times.

Quick Reply: How accurate do you feel you should be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.