Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How high do I need to go? >

How high do I need to go?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high do I need to go?

Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default How high do I need to go?

I wen't hunting Saturday and had a ghost deer spook directly under my stand. I never saw it because it came in from behind me. But aparently it either saw me move my head or caught wind of me as it was going under my stand. I was about 16 feet up. My first question is... is that high enough or do I need to go higher? This is my first year using a climber so I don't know what height I need to go? Also, how will my height affect arrow trajectory? Is a 20 yard shot still a 20 yard shot? (if you know what I mean?). Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How high do I need to go?

How high really depends on your set up. I am generally 20 to 30 feet. I prefer to be in the 25 and up range, but cover determines my height usually. As far as height affecting arrow flight there are quite a few threads about that. Some of the other guys can probably provide a link to the more helpful ones. Hope this helps some and Good Luck
Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

As for your height I'n sure you'll read alot of diffrent answers for that one but I would go twenty to twenty four feet.
As for your shooting distance ( yardage ) if that buck was directly below you at sixteen feet up you would have to use your ten yard pinband aim it a little lower.
If you thought that deer was twenty yards your wrong that twenty yards was really about ten or less straight down , the next time a deer is right below you and your sixteen to twenty feet up use your ten yard pin and aim low.
You'll be amazed how short of a distance it really is.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

I got a tree lunge with the bow stand attachment and it's very secure so going up is not a problem. Is there a height that gets you above their since of smell? If that makes any sense. I don't have a 10 yard pin on my sight just 20,30, and 40 should that be changed to 10,20,30?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anything above twenty feet would be considered a fair height to be above there sense of smell but that doesn't always apply when your hunting along a ridge line.
Sometimes the wind currents will take your sent downward instead of across or away from your hunting area.
As for your pins I would leave them be as is ... if you have to shoot directly below your stand just remember to use your top pin and aim alittle lower than you would normaly do.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

of course it depends on your setup, but I found myself as the season wore on to be geting higher and higher. Just got more confident with the height and the view and getting way above the deer. Last hunt of the season I ranged the ground at 14 yards. It was an awesome view though!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM

We started out 10 - 15 foot stands. We are now up to 20 foot stands and I love it. I don't feel intimidated when I am that high.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use twenty feet as a minimum. I prefer the 24-26 foot range in my clmber because you can get away with more movement. All of my ladderstands are 20', but are covered well.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

bowhunting?! wow! not dissing it tho. Reminds me of an old hunting vid I saw where it was claimed if you go up about that high the deer dont spook when they smell you, the scent is too dispersed. Not so sure about that.

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

Last hunt of the season I ranged the ground at 14 yards. It was an awesome view though!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Spike

I thought someone just did a poll on this or maybe it was on the other forum I belong to. I like to go between 20' - 25' and it looked like most other hunters in a normal type of relatively flat woods/field type stand hunting were doing the same. Factors that really effect height are creeks, steep draws, ridges, etc - then your height will depend more on your surrounding.

Quick Reply: How high do I need to go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.