Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stampeded by horses >

Stampeded by horses

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stampeded by horses

Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Stampeded by horses

I went out for a late morning hunt this morning and on my way to my stand I saw 4 horses running around in my buddy's alfalfa. I was about half way to my stand but I turned around and went back to the barn to tell him about it. When the horses saw me they bolted. My buddy said he'd call the neighbors and let them know that their horses got out. As I was walking back, they came around a strip of corn and about turned themselves inside out when they spotted me. The horses reside on the property adjacent to my buddy's and my stand is on that line fence. As I got closer to my stand I spotted the horses eyeballing me with their heads barely poking up over a hill. Again, they moved off. I thought all was well until one of their buddys, who was still on his rightfull property, started whinnying (?) and making all sorts of racket.

This commotion brought the 4 horses charging back towards me.[:-]Not being a horse person, I was wondering "what the He!!" are they going to stop!!?? When they got to about 6 feet from me, I waved my bow at them and told them to get the heck out of here. Actually it was a bit more graphic then that, you know what I mean? At that point the horses started to race around me in a big circle. I mean race! they were haulin', dirt was flying, the whole 9 yards! After about 4 circles, more bow waving and a whole lot of swearing, I made it the 25 yards to my tree.

Once I climbed up into my stand, it was like I disappeared from the face of the earth as far as the horses were concerned. They were too stupid to look up and see me there giving them the bird. Well, they alternated between feeding under my stand and racing each other around the field in front of me while their buddy, who had sense enough to stay on his own land, was cheering them on.[:@]This went on for over an hour before their owner finally came and got them. The guy and his dog walked right under my tree and never spotted me. The guy snapped a lead on the leader of the pack and walked them back onto their own land. The others willingly followed. Needless to say, I didn't see any deer on that hunt![&o]

Does anybody know a good recipe for horse meat!!??[:-]
Old 09-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stampeded by horses

Call puppy chow or purina, I think they have a good one! haha
Old 09-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe Elmers can help you out.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

One of those odd/strange but true stories. Crazy night Greg, glad you weren't trampled. The season's early.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might have been funny if you weren't trying to hunt!
Several times I've had my hunts spoiled by cattle but never horses.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL, i had mental pictures in my head of this one Thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:59 AM
Dominant Buck

So what kind of penetration did you get on a horse.[8D][8D]
Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Crazy night Greg, glad you weren't trampled. The season's early.
Yeah at least wait untill after the rut before you get trampled.

Now....... if you wanted the ultimate respect you should have jumped on one, road bareback around the woods with your bow and shoot a big buck.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

GREG it's ok ....if you slept in just say so...but really, horses are chasing me waaaa waaaa....... come on

Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt on a small farm with horses. They always get nervous if I set up too close, wonder why Seriously, I'm glad the owner of the place rotates what run he keeps his horses on. I hate when I have a plan to hunt one area and see horses when I get there and have to set up in a "plan B" location. I never did have the kind of commotion you described though. That couldn't be fun.

Quick Reply: Stampeded by horses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.