Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Elk Down! - Here's the Story! >

Elk Down! - Here's the Story!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk Down! - Here's the Story!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Down! - Here's the Story!

September 15th, 40 yard, dbl lunger! Story forthcoming....

Okay, here it is folks....

Firstly, I live in Montana, and this was a public land - do it yourselfbow hunt. I challenged myself to take a bull 300+++ this year. No go, in spite of the great pics, he scores 287 and some change gross, but still nets into P&Y.

The day before opening day (Sept 1st this year in MT), myself and a friend 4-wheeled into remote country and set up camp. While scooping cold cereal into our mouths in our dark tent, we listened to a multitude of screaming bulls in the canyons layed out below us.

Our first set-up was on a 310 class bull with about 40 cows. Busted! The whole day involved about 4800 ft of vertical climbing and descent. We saw some 20-25 bulls and about 200 cows. We were too beat to get up the next morn. Had cows and small bulls within shooting range numerous times.

The next week proved almost as arduous, with an average of about 2,400 vertical feet of up and down stuff every day. We passed up many shots at cows, but no bulls. Very little bugling the first week. My bud finally had to go home, so off I went alone.

The second week was more of the same, with an average of 2,400 ft climbing each day minimum. Also, you must take into account that I am working monday through Thursday the first and second week as well. 7 am to about 3-4pm, so I'm getting pretty beat guys. No let-up. My wife and 6month old daughter are at home in the evenings, and she is a major trooper to have let me carry on like this. Our anniversary is on the 5th of sept., but I convinced her to celebrate it the week before openers. My birthday was on the 10th, but I told her all I wanted was a kiss, hug and to go elk hunting...whew!

Finally, the rut kicked in. I had been hearing some good bugling later in the second week around us, and the cows seemed to be carrying plenty of bulls. Friday night I climbed up to one of the spots I had been seeing some good cow numbers in the last two weeks (and over the summer). There was good sign everywhere! Stoked!

Saturday morning the weather was not condusive to hunting this mountainside, but by Sat. evening things were looking good. I hiked up the 1,200 feet necessary to put us on the edge of elkville. By 6:30 there were 5 bulls screaming at eachother within a 1/2 mile stretch.I set up between two herds on a trail crossing a creek. Like clockwork a cow came across a small sage meadow and dipped into the trees above me. She hit the creek for water. Suddenly I heard a small noise to the right, and there he was! Standing out in the meadow at about 100yds was this great bull!I had not even heard this guy bugling, he just snuck in.

The bull saw the cow on the creek, walked up to within 45 yards or so of her, laid his head back and let out a squall and chuckle I'll never forget. I think I could see his tonsils. He promptly came up behind the cow and nosed her rump. She jumped a couple of feet and started heading up the slope with him close behind. I was at full draw by this time, and let out a small chirp with my voice to stop him at 40 yards. He froze like a rock! I released instantly, and heard the solid hit. The bull hunched and tried to follow the cow further uphill, so I hit him with a couple of cow calls off of my mouth reed. He stopped and started walking back to me. He dropped like a sack of bricks about 50 yards away! Whew!!!! I had tears in my eyes and was praising almighty God for this incredible experience.

I borrowed a couple of pack horsed from a buddy of mine, and another friend helped me go back up and pack him out. All meat was salvaged, even with the warmer Sept. weather we have been having. The tenderloins were great!

Hope all of you have fantastic hunting experiences this fall, and look forward to seeing or hearing of your exploits this winter! See ya'll for now.

Dan
Old 09-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk Down!

Congrats on the fine elk--Bring on the story!!!I'm ready!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 PM

awesome elk congrats.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice elk. Cant wait to hear the story behind that one
Old 09-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright, congrats! Greatr looking elk!
Old 09-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

That smile says it all. Congrats on a fine elk.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think your smile could be any bigger, for good reason. Great looking bull, CONGRATS on your trophy.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Man....I'm jealous....what state did you kill that in? and with a guide? and what was their names?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on that beauty . i'm ready for the story on that one .

Dave
Old 09-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]I am anxiously waiting to start eating my popcorn.

Quick Reply: Elk Down! - Here's the Story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.