Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Marryland opener, howd it g? >

Marryland opener, howd it g?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Marryland opener, howd it g?

Old 09-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Marryland opener, howd it g?

i didnt see a post asking this, so i was wandering how every1 did in MD yesterday? any shots present themselves?

i shot a smal 4 pointer with a large body, but i never found it. i mean i tracked this thing for 2 hours or more, saw lot of blood, followed it, but then it just stopped. so i searched in a 75 yard radius of where the blood stopped and couldnt find the deer. its boggling my mind where he could have went. the blood had bubbles and a little mucus i think in it, so i think thats a lung shot but im not sure. im gonna check next time i go out (tuesdyay) to see if i can atleast find him, but it upsets me a little that i didnt find him. it looked like a good shot, maybe a little behind where i was aiming, but at 15 yards i could see that it pretty muc hit its target.

how did everyone else do. anyone else hunt liberty watershed? if so, how did ya do?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Marryland opener, howd it g?

the title is suppose to say "howd it go" lol
Old 09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

You stopped after only 2 hours and only 75 yards? Tuesday, Why are you not out there today? I'm a little boggled myself?[&:]
Old 09-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

yea maybe it was a little more than 75 yard radius from where the blood stopped, but I searched for a long time. But after a while, it just getting to me just walking in circles because I had no more blood to go from. I was good when I was following the blood, but after it stopped I searchde for another hour or so and looked under alot of brush, stickers and all, just couldnt find any more sign of blood or him. I usually have a buddy with me to help, but was by myself. I dont understand how the blood trail stopped - like it just disapeared.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

im not out there today because I dont know where else to look. and now that you say it, 75 yards isnt alot, I defintely searched for over a football field, so maybe i underestimated the 75 yards. i just dont know where else to look. I dont have any blood or sign to go from
Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Had you read the recovery thread at the top of the page. Maryland allows the use of tracking dogs and I know the breeder I got my dog from trails for people in Maryland. Had you even consider utilizing a tracker and his dog? They are usually free of charge and these trackers usually embrace the training for their dogs. Check out the United Blood Trackers link available in the recovery thread at the top of the page. Some dogs have been known to recover game 48-72 hours old.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

its free? man thats pretty cool. now I never read that thread or even knew there were people to do it for free. i always thought it was like hundreds of bucks. i might give them a try.

it is public land tho so someone else prob. already tagged it and claimed it as theres lol. i have heard of stories of people doing that. i might utilize that service, thanks bud
Old 09-16-2007, 01:43 PM

Here's a link to a sticky on another site devoted to MD Bowhunting that discusses tracking dogs and gives referals:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...ost?id=2139312

If you haven't been back out this morning I would go and take some buddies with you and do a grid serach again......

I went behind my house (12 acres at the back of a small neighboorhood) yesterday morning and saw 2 does and 2 spikes, had shots but let them walk. I hunted an old horse farm in the afternoon and it was so windy I didn't think I would see anything but had about a dozen come right by my stand starting at 5 until I got down at 8......all does, fawns, or spikers....fawns are still in full spots and spikes in full velvet....let 'em all walk.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

"but it upsets me a little that i didnt find him. it looked like a good shot, maybe a little behind where i was aiming, but at 15 yards i could see that it pretty muc hit its target. "

And it took 2 hours to trail him 75 yds

Hell, you ought to be able to "see" 75 yds from the stand.

This kind of stuff "upsets me a little"
Old 09-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cptleo1

And it took 2 hours to trail him 75 yds

Hell, you ought to be able to "see" 75 yds from the stand.
Well thats not always the case. I shot a doe for example Saturday morning and couldnt see more than 40 yards so I never saw her go down. Found her 55-60 yards away.

Ive tracked deer before more than a half mile. I lost the blood tral after 200 yards, little blood trail, and continued a radius search until 11PM, took the day off work, went back in the morning and continued, found him at the other other of our 2200 acre property, went about a half mile.

Quick Reply: Marryland opener, howd it g?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.