Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think... >

Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

Old 09-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

Shot a nice doe tonight about an hour before dark had really good blood but lost the trail. It is going to get down to around 50 tonight do you think it will still be good in the morning?? I am going to get out at daylight to look for it marked it on the gps so shouldn't have to much trouble finding where I left off. I think we were pushing it so we back off instead of circle searching.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

I'd say the meat will be good. You'll know it when you find it and do the autopsy.

Couple questions if we may? You say you thought you were pushing her. What time did you shoot her? What time did you start on her?

Did you visually see the impact point?

Old 09-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

i think its gonna get colder then that at 9 o'clock it was only 51 here and i thought i heard lows in the 40s for most of pa. its hard to do but if your pushing the deer get out and wait at least 6 hrs. that extra jump can make a dying deer run amazing distances sometimes. just find her before it gets to the hot part of the day and i think you should be fine.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

actually i thought you were a pa guy so i dont know what your temp will be, sorry.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

bc25, what state are you in?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

Go back in the A.m. My first 2 bow harvests were gut shots i wasnt to good at seeing the impact and all that good stuff, needless to say i bumped both of them an hour after the shot, and decided to come back 4 hours later (about 11 p.m.) bumped both again with flashlights and saw them running through the woods (this is 2 seperate years and i made the same mistake twice). Temps were around low 50's one year and mid 40's the other. Backed out after the second bump both years and got back on it the following morning, the first year the deer was 300-400 yards from where i bumped him not much blood(had to look good on hands and knee's) he stayed on a deer trail and went up a hill into thick pines. the other was 100 yards from where i lost the blood, saw him plain as day in the light.

Bothate fine

Rich
Old 09-16-2007, 01:39 AM
Fork Horn

I couldn't see the impact point don't know why but I usually can. I waited about 1 to 1.5 hours to begin tracking. Must not have been the best of shots. By the looks of the blood it was a liver hit blood was very hard to find the first 50 yrds then it opened up to where you could walk at a slow pace following it, the deer stopped a few times and there was alot of blood but it never bedded down that we could see and this is why I think we pushed it and when we lost the blood trail we thought we would just back off and come back in the morning. It is going to be a long night as you can see by me still being up.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hope you got some sleep and are after her now. Best of luck.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you should be able to find her. Let us know.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

updates?

Quick Reply: Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.