Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cheaper to hunt? >

Cheaper to hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cheaper to hunt?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Cheaper to hunt?

Now that I have looked at some bows I dont think that it is cheaper to hunt and get meat as it is to go to the store and buy meat. If Im going to spend close to 2,000 dollars this season and I get all my tags, How many pounds do you think that is. I can buy alot of meat with 2,000 dollars. And then Im thinking why hunt if its more expensive? Well my answer to that is it is fun like any other hobby out there. I got lots of money by being smart with my money and was going to get into hunting because I thought that it might be cheaper but its not. But Im going to go hunting anyway and see if I like it.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cheaper to hunt?

If anybody ever said it was cheaper to hunt than buy meat in a store--Well they might have fibbed--
But ask the backyard farmer can he grow vegatables cheaper than buying them and he will most likely tell you NO.
IMO-gettin in to hunting cause its cheap is the wrong thing to do --i got into hunting to spend time with my dad and friends--also caused i love to be in the woods---
As far as the moneyI do whatI can afford--and don't ever think about its costing me too much!!! Besides the cost of nature at it finest-- "PRICELESS"
Old 09-15-2007, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

hunting can be very cheap and cost efficient. buy a cheaper bow setup...hunt in homeade camos or military surplus BDUs or something cheap...hunt off the ground...etc etc.

really dont NEED much to hunt. really its ALL luxeries...think of the Native Americans. homeade longbows...homeade wooden arrows..homeade clothing...

i dont hunt for the meat. i EAt the meat..and love venision and wild game meat...but if i hunted for meat, id be a truely starvin college kid

i hunt because thats what i enjoy doing. if you dont see yourself enjoying it, i wouldnt get into it to "save money"

good luck with your decision though...
Old 09-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is never cheaper when you add up you cost of equipment and time . How much would you be making if you worked instead of hunting? I dive for fish and lobsters as well but it would be cheaper if i bought it in a store when you add up gas ,time and equipment but it is worth it to me because i would rather hunt than be working . Do it because you enjoy it other wise it will seem like work
Old 09-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The wild game meat is better for you, so you'll live longer and have less doctor bills, so see, in the long run you will be saving money![8D]

Gotta find a better reason to hunt than "saving money"!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

I think it is cheaper in the long run. If you buy an average priced bow and arrows, hunting licenses, outfits and process the deer yourself. At the grocery store ground meat is around $2-$3 per pound, steaks and roasts around $3-$4 per pound and you get two deer with an average of 65 pounds of meat. It will all be paid off in two years.
But thats not why I do it, I just hunt to relax, enjoy nature and just get away, gettinga deer is just the bonus.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Dude dont hunt for the cheapnes of the meat, your missing the whole point the meat is just a tasty reward.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:11 AM

I agree the meat is a bonus. Hunting is actually an expensive hobby to get into but once you are in and have somebase gear down it is relatively cheap. At this point i am 24 and really have nothing else that i need for hunting have a good set of binos, rangefinder, not bad bow, nice rifle, all my calls etc these things will last for years. Each year i buy a couple bottles of scent killer, all my tags go a few years b4 buying a box of ammo or a pack of broadheads. If your smart with your stuff it ain't that bad.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the individual. For a guy shooting deer in his backyard, doing his own processing, sure it's cheaper. For me, no way. I have to travel alot to hunt. With gas, hotels, processing, it costs me a small fortune.
I eat venison all year long and can't remember when I had to buy meat. But I don't hunt to save money, I do it because I love it!!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Dude dont hunt for the cheapnes of the meat, your missing the whole point the meat is just a tasty reward.
I never said I do it for the cheapness of the meat, read my last line. Somebody asked if it was cheaper to hunt and I was just giving my two cents worth.

Quick Reply: Cheaper to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.