Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

smelling deer

Old 09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default smelling deer

I was out walking around the other day scouting some new grounds that I may hunt this year and I could smell deer. I stopped for a while and the wind seemed to be shifting. I pulled a thread out of my shirt and started watching it and trying my best to smell the air. I picked a direction (face in the wind) and walked over to a grassy hill and spooked what looked like a doe and two fawns, but they were gone in a flash. I know there are a few ways to open up your sinuses, some as easy as eating something spicy. I may give this a try this year while hunting on the ground. Using their game against them if you will.
Any of you ever try to use your sense of smell to locate them while hunting? Any tips to increase your sense of smell?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: smelling deer

You can smell elk very easily, but I can't say I have ever smelled a deer. Well, a rutting buck can be smelly, but you must have a better sniffer than me.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Get in the right area with the right wind and you'll smell deer, especially around rut time.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'll stick with looking instead of smelling

Good luck to ya this season... Oh and buy the way, CVA came out with a new muzzleloader... It's called electra... You may want to go get one before muzzleloader comes in
Old 09-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got what I need, thanks.

Good luck to you as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

I have smelled deer while sitting in a treestand . I smelled them before I ever saw them .
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first deer I ever killed was one I smelled behind me.

Well,the smell made me turn around,I don't think I smelled the one I shot.I shot a doe during the rut and she was turned facing the way she came.I think I smelled a buck that hadn't shown itself yet but I definately smelled deer.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

If you drive around with your windows down, you can smell some really good crossing spots. Deer put off a real musky odor. Coyotes do too. It's a really good tool to try and "develop", usually if you can smell them they aren't to far off.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've smelled them before I saw them while walking a few times.

During the rut they stink even more.

A couple different times I was with someone else when walking when I'd stop. I'd comment that I smell a deer. We'd take a few steps and jump up a deer or two.

I kinda amazed the other person because they didn't smell anything. They were beginner hunters though.

One timewas with a buddy when we were small game hunting and the other time I was with a father and son teamscouting for deer.

You should have seen the funny looks that father and son gave me when that happened.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Ive never smelt a whitetail(at least i dont think) but mulies and elk i find are the smelliest, especially elk since they like to wallow soo much[&:]

Quick Reply: smelling deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.