HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   To mount, or not to mount? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/206736-mount-not-mount.html)

mobow 09-12-2007 08:09 PM

To mount, or not to mount?

I'm just wondering, how many guys DON'T get their deer mounted? I mean, even if it's a really nice one, would you not?

Personally, for me......I won't. I simply can't justify that kind of money. Now, I may do some kind of skull cap mount or something....you know, those ones with just the antlers mounted on a plaque.....

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at deer mounts. I think they look really awesome....I just wouldn't myself, that's all.....Too expensive IMO...

Bird Hunt Dog 09-12-2007 08:11 PM

RE: To mount, or not to mount?

I will not shoot a buck that I won't spend the money to mount!

GMMAT 09-12-2007 08:20 PM

You heard it here, first, mobo.....

If I don't intend to get it mounted....I won't shoot it (buck). I reserve the right to alter this outlook in the case of an injury or something "special" about the hunt....but I doubt these will occur (never know).

Icould conceivably never pull the trigger on another buck....lol.

If I shoot the buck I'm after this year.....I may never have another one mounted. Turkeys? Different story. I want a full strut mount and a flying mount to go with the standing mount I have coming. I also want to hoefully have a mount of a pronghorn (come on '09).

Really, though.....I see me with about 2 0r 3 deer mounts......that's all.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-12-2007 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

Pretty much me too....hell I have the wall space. ;)

jmbuckhunter 09-12-2007 08:24 PM

If I shoot a buck I mount it.

One of these days I am going to mount a doe too. When I get a real cute one.

UUHHH, maybe that doesn't sound right. OH WELL you know what I mean.:D

Bird Hunt Dog 09-12-2007 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Probably better that mounting a buck

drhntr178 09-12-2007 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

Pretty much me too....hell I have the wall space. ;)
x3

bkalbach 09-12-2007 08:32 PM

i'm fine with a skull cap.

mobow 09-12-2007 08:33 PM

Oh come on buddy......They're all cute, and I'm quite the conesieur of does......[&:]

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-12-2007 08:37 PM

Same here.

Ben / PA 09-12-2007 08:41 PM

I don't know what a mount cost in your respective areas, but for me to get a decent shoulder mount it costs 275 to 350. I am not rich, but if a buck is a shooter, than he is a mounter.

Texas Hunter 09-12-2007 08:44 PM

I never shoot a buck not worthy of hanging on the wall.

GregH 09-12-2007 08:45 PM

I limit myself to mounting only one or two per year.;)

englum_06 09-12-2007 08:59 PM

Where I am, most mounts run 300+, but I met a good guy last year who has been mounting for only a few years...he lives about 40 minutes away in a town of about 300 people so he's not got all that much recognition yet, but he has won state and national prizes in his mounting. Just does amazing work- which works out nice because HE ONLY CHARGES 220 DOLLARS!!!!!.

He charges 80 dollars down (which is the cost of the manican, supplies, etc), and then 140 (labor cost) at pick-up. The best thing about him, I took my buck in Nov. 17th, had it back late February. He tans his own hides and everything instead of shipping them out which lowers the risk of them getting lost, speeds up the process, and saves money. Great guy...says he'll never charge more than 140 for labor so the only way his price will go up is if the price of the manicans goes up.

Katern 09-12-2007 08:59 PM

I think mountingis WAY TO expensive to.

my7pointmonster 09-12-2007 09:09 PM

I mounted every buck ive ever shot (all one of them) and ive never had the opportunity to mout a doe (i shoot them in the head usually) and ive never shot one with my bow, wich i really really hope to change this year so i can get her mounted, it cost me 300 bucks to get "my 7 point monster" mounted. Im prolly gonna get every buck i shoot mounted simply because i think its respectful to the deer.

Ryan.

TEmbry 09-12-2007 09:12 PM

i have shot two bucks i didnt mount, but i think i will mount every buck from here on out, because i dont plan on shooting anything not worthy of mounting from here on out. Plans may change to accomodate for a first buck with a bow scenario, idk yet. I hope to have a room full of mounts once i get older, including a full strut world slam of turkeys.

TFOX 09-12-2007 09:34 PM

Are you seriously telling me if you kill something like this you wouldn't have it mounted?

I did not kill this,just so you know.;)It is on my stepdad's wall and was killed by his uncle and itis in the books(gun kill)

I probably wouldn't pay to have it put in the book but it would be on my wall.

MichaelHunsucker 09-12-2007 09:41 PM

I will only mount one if it is close to 150 or better. Last year i mounted the biggest one i shot and did skull mounts on the other two.

Mobow, if you dont feel like spending the money i would definately do a european mount! They look awesome and arent a whole lot of work!

IADeerHunter16 09-12-2007 09:57 PM

Mobow I'm like you and really don't plan on paying $300 for a mount. I'm a college kid and just can't afford it. So far I've shot three bucks two of them I did skull mounts and the other I'm using as rattling antlers.

Hiawatha 09-12-2007 10:03 PM

I asked myself the same question about a girl i know.

eatsleephunt 09-12-2007 10:15 PM

I'm with the majority...if I'm not going to mount it, I won't shoot it. However, I will shoot plenty of does, and an occasional cow elk for meat every year. If it's got horns, antlers, fangs or claws, it just has to be huge!

bloodcrick 09-12-2007 11:03 PM

Personaly if its a good one its getting mounted. A Guy just to upgrade his man room sometimes :Djust act like itsremodling :eek:I may even do a euro just for something different.

peakrut 09-12-2007 11:20 PM

LOL hoefully, I like that

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You heard it here, first, mobo.....

If I don't intend to get it mounted....I won't shoot it (buck). I reserve the right to alter this outlook in the case of an injury or something "special" about the hunt....but I doubt these will occur (never know).

Icould conceivably never pull the trigger on another buck....lol.

If I shoot the buck I'm after this year.....I may never have another one mounted. Turkeys? Different story. I want a full strut mount and a flying mount to go with the standing mount I have coming. I also want to hoefully have a mount of a pronghorn (come on '09).

Really, though.....I see me with about 2 0r 3 deer mounts......that's all.

TJF 09-12-2007 11:48 PM

I've only everhad 2 mounted for me. Well the 2nd one should be done soon.Wehad Tyler's velvet buck ( 1st bow buck ) mountedfrom 3 years ago which actually was the firstone. Unless Tyler drills a big buck, I doubt we will get any mounted this year. Saving up for the elktrip out to Troy's. If we are lucky... we will be having an elk to be mounted next year.

Otherwise it has to be 150 or better/ a buck with a lot of historyafter the 1st mounted buck/deer per family memberin this household.Britney says if she shoots a doe... wewill have tohave it mounted if it is her first deer when she starts hunting.

Some day I willtake a cape from a buck I shoot and have my rack off my very first bowbuckmounted up. It only been 24 years since I shot him, he can wait a couple more years. :D

We willsave the capes though and have them tanned just incase I come into money some day. Our taxidermist also will trade capes for horn mounts.

Not into the euro mounts. Wife mentioned something about shooting me and mounting my arse to the wall should I ever think about trying to bring a skull into the house to hang.

Tim

Tuco 09-13-2007 12:27 AM

Dink, if you held you hands up like a rack it would score at least 190 with those fat fingers you got

Dink is Love

MOmightymite 09-13-2007 12:51 AM

I would have to kill a decent buck to mount it. I have taken a spike and a four pointer and have skull cap mounts that i am going to have made. If i shoot a decent buck (100" or better) I will definitely have it mounted. I am a poor college student that is about $30,000 in debt but would work harder to come up with the money to get a mount done if it was big enough.

bloodcrick 09-13-2007 01:47 AM

Oh, thats real good coming from a man that has more hair than sasquach [8D]My fingers are not fat Damit!! :D

ORIGINAL: honcho12

Dink, if you held you hands up like a rack it would score at least 190 with those fat fingers you got

Dink is Love

rybohunter 09-13-2007 04:22 AM

While I would love to keep shooting bucks and turning them into shoulder mounts, I don't feel like buying a new house. I will still get ones scoring 140+ mounted, but anything under that is going to get a skull mount.

stikbow26 09-13-2007 04:38 AM

I mount all my god ones!!! I'm with Bird on this one I wont shoot them if I'm not going to mount it!! Unless it's a tastey doe!!!! Walt

davidmil 09-13-2007 05:49 AM

I mounted a couple earlier in my bowhunting but don't anymore. My biggest deer are not mounted. I just cut off the horns and hang them on a nail in the garage or put them on a plaque or something. Many just get wedged in a tree crotch so I can watch the squirrels work out on them. They'll almost eat a whole set in a year or so..

StrutNtom 09-13-2007 05:59 AM

Too expensive? Do you know how much time and detail a "True" taxidermist puts into his mounts?

The one reason I don't do it is b/c mine would be way too "personal". I would spend way too much time and detail in them that would eat up all my profits.

(((IMO)))

This is what I don't get when it comes to the people who say its too expensive. You pay hunderds if not thousands of dollars a year to hunt. This money goes towards the hopes of getting a buck of that caliber. Then when you finally do get one. You don't mount it? Come on. Whats a few hundred dollars to finish up the "journey"?

brang05 09-13-2007 06:27 AM

I would only mount one if it is bigger than the ones I've got. I always save the racks and have them done though. They are fantastic, beautiful creatures and I truly enjoy looking at simple rack mounts as much as a full head mount.

mobow 09-13-2007 06:37 AM

TFOX, that is exactly what I'm saying. I would do a European, or skull cap.....but not a shoulder. Not that I don't like it, not that I don't think it's cool......Just can't justify the money.

StrutnTom, I'm not saying the Taxi doesn't deserve to get that much for it...Quite to the contrary.......I'm just not paying it is all.

Rick James 09-13-2007 06:57 AM

I only have one buck that I wish I would have mounted, and that is because I would like to preserve the memory of that hunt......he really isn't all that big. Someday I will get him mounted though. In the future, I can see myself getting deer mounted but they are going to have to be some really good deer for this.

Vulture6 09-13-2007 07:12 AM

I've never had one mounted, and probably never will. Okay, maybe. It might just be that all I ever shoot are scrawny-assed forks and six-points!!

Seriously -- my trophys are all skull caps or antler mounts. Don't have any heads mounted.

8pt~Bowhunter 09-13-2007 07:22 AM

I just get skull mounts.:DBig $$$

Killer_Primate 09-13-2007 07:23 AM

I don’t mount them either. I’m not against it, but I don’t like them enough to spend the cash on them. Besides that, my wife is into décor, and the mounts wouldn’t go over well in the house. I may mount my kids first bucks, but haven’t really decided.
I like to boil their heads like a euro mount, but I don’t hang them on the wall. I like to hold them and look at them and remember the hunts. I think they look cooler than mounts, they’re a 100% real. And a skull with antlers has a certain appeal to me. Guess I’m a headhunter.

Killer_Primate 09-13-2007 07:25 AM

I'll post after pics when I get a new cam.

Germ 09-13-2007 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I'm just wondering, how many guys DON'T get their deer mounted? I mean, even if it's a really nice one, would you not?

Personally, for me......I won't. I simply can't justify that kind of money. Now, I may do some kind of skull cap mount or something....you know, those ones with just the antlers mounted on a plaque.....

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at deer mounts. I think they look really awesome....I just wouldn't myself, that's all.....Too expensive IMO...
Mobow you shoot your first buck the mount is on me!!!!

One of my biggest regrets is not getting some of my first big deer mounted.

My first two big bucks are rattling antlers[:'(], I have 3 more rotting in the barn. To far gone to fix[X(], mice have nibbled on them.