HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   To mount, or not to mount? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/206736-mount-not-mount.html)

Ben / PA 09-12-2007 08:41 PM

RE: To mount, or not to mount?

I don't know what a mount cost in your respective areas, but for me to get a decent shoulder mount it costs 275 to 350. I am not rich, but if a buck is a shooter, than he is a mounter.

Texas Hunter 09-12-2007 08:44 PM

I never shoot a buck not worthy of hanging on the wall.

GregH 09-12-2007 08:45 PM

I limit myself to mounting only one or two per year.;)

englum_06 09-12-2007 08:59 PM

Where I am, most mounts run 300+, but I met a good guy last year who has been mounting for only a few years...he lives about 40 minutes away in a town of about 300 people so he's not got all that much recognition yet, but he has won state and national prizes in his mounting. Just does amazing work- which works out nice because HE ONLY CHARGES 220 DOLLARS!!!!!.

He charges 80 dollars down (which is the cost of the manican, supplies, etc), and then 140 (labor cost) at pick-up. The best thing about him, I took my buck in Nov. 17th, had it back late February. He tans his own hides and everything instead of shipping them out which lowers the risk of them getting lost, speeds up the process, and saves money. Great guy...says he'll never charge more than 140 for labor so the only way his price will go up is if the price of the manicans goes up.

Katern 09-12-2007 08:59 PM

I think mountingis WAY TO expensive to.

my7pointmonster 09-12-2007 09:09 PM

I mounted every buck ive ever shot (all one of them) and ive never had the opportunity to mout a doe (i shoot them in the head usually) and ive never shot one with my bow, wich i really really hope to change this year so i can get her mounted, it cost me 300 bucks to get "my 7 point monster" mounted. Im prolly gonna get every buck i shoot mounted simply because i think its respectful to the deer.

Ryan.

TEmbry 09-12-2007 09:12 PM

i have shot two bucks i didnt mount, but i think i will mount every buck from here on out, because i dont plan on shooting anything not worthy of mounting from here on out. Plans may change to accomodate for a first buck with a bow scenario, idk yet. I hope to have a room full of mounts once i get older, including a full strut world slam of turkeys.

TFOX 09-12-2007 09:34 PM

Are you seriously telling me if you kill something like this you wouldn't have it mounted?

I did not kill this,just so you know.;)It is on my stepdad's wall and was killed by his uncle and itis in the books(gun kill)

I probably wouldn't pay to have it put in the book but it would be on my wall.

MichaelHunsucker 09-12-2007 09:41 PM

I will only mount one if it is close to 150 or better. Last year i mounted the biggest one i shot and did skull mounts on the other two.

Mobow, if you dont feel like spending the money i would definately do a european mount! They look awesome and arent a whole lot of work!

IADeerHunter16 09-12-2007 09:57 PM

Mobow I'm like you and really don't plan on paying $300 for a mount. I'm a college kid and just can't afford it. So far I've shot three bucks two of them I did skull mounts and the other I'm using as rattling antlers.