Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Free broadhead My review >

Free broadhead My review

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Free broadhead My review

Old 09-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Free broadhead My review

Well just came in from shooting and I tried the new free broadhead we signed up for.

As anyone knows who reads anything I say I love the Muzzy MX-4 So I shot this one along side those on new unshot unblemished arrows and fletching.

Well the free one (I forget who made it DOOH) shot side by side with the muzzy's.. In fact at 50 yards I hit bullseye more ofen with the free one. The muzzy'x would cut black or be close but for whatever reason the free one center punched it more often..I switched arrows shooting order..could not skew the results.

But I'll echo what was said earlier,the way the blades are secured in the head suck!! Switching arrows, blades fell out and it was kinda a pain in the butt.

It's a great broadhead...I dunno that it was night and day better and for the price I'm not ready to proclaim it better ..but tonight it shot very well.

EDIT, (thanks guys)
Apologies to G5 for forgetting the name..and thanks for the trial..it'll be well worth future testing!!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Default RE: Free broadhead My review

I think that would be the G5 striker. And yes, they shoot very good.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was the G5 Striker
Old 09-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Strikers are great.

Yup, they'll come apart when you unscrew them. So do any of the NAP TH's.

The best way to fix that is..................keep it on the shaft!

I love the way they fly at long yardages.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gr8:

I really like those MX-4s as well. However....

I have to play the devils advocate here: Why wouldn't you want to shoot a broadhead that you KNOW flys better than what you have?

I almost want to break out the and watch as the HNIEPD rolls out with the paddy wagon.

Think about this: With all the money you have invested in your equipment and all your time and effort... whats another $10 for the ONLY part that ACCTUALLY DOES THE KILLING?

Again, I'm just puttin a bug in your ear. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't "know" it flies better Swampcollie..I said on average it did tonight. So if I shot it 5 times at 50 yards (which is the distance I'm claiming any amount of difference in the results) and it hit 1.25 inches closer to center bull..does that kill a deer faster???

Do I disregard 2 years of shooting MX-4's and being successful killing deer with them, all based on 5 shots??? Maybe I concentrated better when I knew I was shooting that head? Who knows it needs the test of time..Maybe ultimately down the road I switch. If so the free trial did what it was supposed too!

But For $10 actually closer to $16 I'd need to see a bigger difference than I saw last night. I know your question was fuel for thought..and believe me when I say..I was impressed with the G5 Striker broadhead! (plus I used the bandaid..after the blades fell out and I had to reset them...suckers are sharp!) I'll keep shooting it and if the trend continues I'll own some!
Old 09-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the review GR8, I'm yet to shoot mine. Maybe today, maybe this weekend.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I don't "know" it flies better Swampcollie..I said on average it did tonight. So if I shot it 5 times at 50 yards (which is the distance I'm claiming any amount of difference in the results) and it hit 1.25 inches closer to center bull..does that kill a deer faster???

Do I disregard 2 years of shooting MX-4's and being successful killing deer with them, all based on 5 shots??? Maybe I concentrated better when I knew I was shooting that head? Who knows it needs the test of time..Maybe ultimately down the road I switch. If so the free trial did what it was supposed too!

But For $10 actually closer to $16 I'd need to see a bigger difference than I saw last night. I know your question was fuel for thought..and believe me when I say..I was impressed with the G5 Striker broadhead! (plus I used the bandaid..after the blades fell out and I had to reset them...suckers are sharp!) I'll keep shooting it and if the trend continues I'll own some!
And see thats another great consideration, that you have had good success with those MX-4s... so in contrast you could almost offer why would I change what I KNOW works for something that could POSSIBLY fly better at 50 yards... which is a heck of a poke for a whitetail deer.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

GR8,

What no pictures in a kilt like Rob???