Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 deer moving right at dark makes em hard to get? >

deer moving right at dark makes em hard to get?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer moving right at dark makes em hard to get?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 AM

Default deer moving right at dark makes em hard to get?

well saturday was the first day of the season for us in NC. i hunt on familylandof about 120acres. t ive been seeing 4 nice bucks in the area about 1.5hr before dark in the fields. well saturday morning the deer were already on the corn when i walked in so i scared them off. saturday afternoon i seen a nice 6pt but he was about 80yds off and never even touched the corn. he came out about 2hrs before dark. well i moved my stand up to where he came out yesturday and sat from 4-8 in the afternoon. it was hot, about 95 and alittle windy with me sitting downwind from where they were coming from. didn;t see anything utill it was dark and i was coming down. why do they have to wait till dark to come out now? i cant move up the trail any because its already next to the bedding area in a thick cutover. could it be that the hot weather and the wind make them not want to move untill dark?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: deer moving right at dark makes em hard to get?

Where they are coming from is usually coined as a staging area. Many times deer will move to within 50-100 yards of an edge of a woods, food source and stage there until they feel comfortable leaving the cover to feed etc...many times these staging areas wheel great results.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 PM

what would be the best way to approach that? its so thick in there and nowhere to hang a stand. i thought that the spot i hunted yesturday was the staging area because saturday he was hanging out there about 2hours before dark waiting for dark to move on. im going to hunt my lockon as soon as i get off work..if he walks back out where i hunted yesturday is there anyway to call him to me? im not sure what works this time of year because ive never really used calls or anything.

Thanks
Tommy
Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 PM

DEER R ACTUALLY HIGHY VOCAL ANIMALS SO A LIGHT GRUNT COULD MAKE HIM INTERESTED ENOUGH TO GET IN RANGE,JUST BE LIGHT AND EASY,YOU MIGHT ALSO MAKE A MOCK SCRAPE DEER MAKE AND USE THEM ALL YEAR NOT N JUST THE RUT SO TRY IT,R U HUNTN 2MORROW KEEP ME INFORMED ON YOUR HUNTS
Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM

HIGHY IS HIGHLY
Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you hunt an area like one of my areas, can't move closer because its a thick cutover....Best bet, be patient, move to another area or wait for this hot, dry weather to change....Deer will move earlier depending on the moon, etc...I have also had good luck hunting just before a front moves in....

Bigest thing, this is still the first week of bow season down here, they'll move earlier, the rut starts in a few weeks, don't run them off your property before this happens...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 PM

its really got me confused now. i hunted the corner of the field yesturday that i seen 3 nice bucks just standing out in the middle of the field at 6:30 in the afternoon. i seen what part of the field they were comeing out of and havn't seen them since. hunted the about 40yds inside the corner and didn't see anything at all. havn't seen anything in that field since that day i seen the bucks. did see the big one crossing the road at about 2 in the morning just on the other side of his bedding area (well what i THINK is his bedding area). would it be best to wait for him to make a rub line and just hang a stand about halfway between his bedding area and feeding area? theres so many trails i have no idea which one he uses right now.

btw..how much longer for they start rubbing? i dont think im going to hunt today. we are so dry around here, im going to hang a stand up near the lake and throw some corn out there around the bushs. there are deer tracks coming from every direction to get water out of the creek bottom of the almost dry part of the lake. would they be a good idea untill the big boy forms a rub line?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

all my big bucks dont move until right before sun up and right when its to dark to shoot. and there are these 2 damn big monster bucks i cant see good enough to shoot. its very frustrating
Old 09-13-2007, 02:05 PM

I'd be careful about pressuring them too much. I believe in hunting specific areas in the morn, or evening, but not necessarily both. I like to give them afew day break as well. I think it keeps them relaxed.IMHO, course...