Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Exciting evening for my son's first bow hunt... >

Exciting evening for my son's first bow hunt...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Exciting evening for my son's first bow hunt...

Old 09-09-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Exciting evening for my son's first bow hunt...

...ever. We went after him practicing and getting proficient with his bow , and at his request without my 'pushing' him. I hunted within about 8 yards of him to keep an eye on him and to get any pics . We sat for about an hour when we both heard some sound for a few minutes, but from an area that I hadn't normally seen any deer come from. The I found out why..it was a bear, about 250 lb boar, and he was headed right for my son! I watched his reaction, and he just sat there without moving. I had already decided that if I was going to take another bear , it would have to be a 'bigun', and this one was a little smaller than I was after, BUT...my son was only 10' off the ground, and he was within 5 yards of the bear, not drawing back,( he told me later that he was afraid to move since he was so close)so I decided to take advantage of the oppurtunity for an eventful first hunt together. I drew, waited, and released and the arrow flew so very true at the very place I aimed....only to smack dead center in a sapling that was no bigger around than my thumb, literally 6" from the bear's side![>:]I stared in disbelief, but since it wasn't really the one that I normally would have taken, and it still provided a good memory and an exciting evening, I went away content. My son's face said it all, and I will stow this away for awhile in my memory circuit.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Exciting evening for my son's first bow hunt...

It isn't just about killing an animal. Sometimes experiences like that are the best because they give the other person somethin to joke with you about for years.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome manuman!! sounds like a great hunt and awesome memory!! you both will be laughin at that in a few years...those invisible limbs and saplings will make a fool outa ya thats for sure
Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM

I honestly think that his seeing my example at how I reacted to this may have been more valuable than taking the bear!!! It certainly isn't always about having to succeed. I have coached him, and others for years,and always preach that you need to win graciously as well as lose graciously. I lost tonight--with dignity!!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wheres the pics????

Memories man..............memories
Old 09-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now thats an experience you will both remember for the rest of your lives. Great job dad!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 AM

Good times Great Memories. If for some reason he fails on his first try hopefully he won't get as discouraged knowing his dad misses too.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 AM

how old is he???

edit - btw, awesome story... i'm sure he's hooked for life now, great job dad!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 AM

What a cool experience for the both of you. At least he knows now that an arrow can't cut through a sapling and still hit it's intended target.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome man. No doubt a great father son experience, I remember my oldest sons first Bear like it was yesterday, the look on his face was priceless. Man that was 21 years ago to this very day, I think I will call him tonight and have a good laugh,he was 14.
Not always about the kill, but the HUNT leading up to one, is what makes the story.
Good luck the rest of the season, and keep us updated on how things go for him!

Quick Reply: Exciting evening for my son's first bow hunt...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.