Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Montana was good to me >

Montana was good to me

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montana was good to me

Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montana was good to me

Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Montana was good to me

Id say so! When did you take the elk?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow! What a trophy.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

YES IT WAS!!!!! HOLY BULL ELK, Batman!!! Congrats on that fine trophy. I was wondering when some elk harvests would start rolling in. It was worth the wait. That is a BEAUTY.

What's the story behind that beast?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!!! Holy mackeral thats awesome!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATS on an awesome trophy! Thanks for the pix!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

That is one incredible, beautiful specimen!!!!!!!!!!

I just pray I can one day take something so magnificient!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can you give us some details surrounding the event? Were you calling? What calls, if so? How were the conditions? Did you call him away from the herd, or did you set up inside his "hot zone?"

We need answers, man!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Short story ,

Montana's was hot last week , 90's during the day and down towards the 40s most of the nights , opening morning my guide and myself did some spot an stalk , got within 100 yards and the wind was wrong , swirling , the bane of elk hunters . called it a mourning . Went back for the afternoon hunt , and sat on a water hole , I was instructed not to shoot mully bucks , and as luck would have it saw plenty and had 2 shooters within 25 yards . around last light I cussing my guide for not letting me shoot mully's when 8 cows run into the water hole , they drink for awhile and I here a bugle close , see antlers comming and get ready , I cant stand because 8 cows are 5 to 10 yards from me , He comes in , to my right , the wrong place for a right hand archer whos seated , most of us have been in this situation , I get turned as well as posable and draw , hes 25 yards , ancor and place my pins getting ready to release and notice my bottom limb is touching a tree limb , a small limb , and Im thinking just release , you know how we tend to rush in the heat of the moment , anyway I decide in a split second not to do it and ruin my chance and let down , I look down and one of the cows is looking right at me , I wait and she returns to drinking , I spin slightly on my seat and reach around the limb kind of contorted , get to ancor place my pin and release , he bolts , the cows bolt , he stops on a ridge 50 yards from me an turns to look at his cows , they were still 20 yards from me , as I watch his left back leg starts to quiver , 10 seconds later hes on his back with feet in the air , just like wide world of sports . I get down with cows barking at me and retreve my arrow which has completly passed through him and buried in the ground , there is no blood trail , but I sliced his heart in half .

P. S. I changed my rig around a bit this year largly in part to Straightarrow's "heavy arrow high foc " theroy , and Im shooting better than ever , my bows quiet , and I got a complete passthrough on an 800 pound elk , shooting 28 inches and 62 pounds , g5 striker broadheads , they will cut you if you just look at them . Bull green scored 350

Quick Reply: Montana was good to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.