Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Skb
38.46%
plano
30.77%
aurora
0%
other
30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

traveling cases

Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default traveling cases

What cases do you use on airplanes. I have the standard plano case. Is that sufficient enough providing I pad the inside enough??
I was interested in SKB and then I read about the Aurora case which are half the price.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: traveling cases

I have a Kalispel case that I use for traveling. Very durable but it's on the pricey side. Honestly I probably would have went with a SKB but I got this one as a Christmas gift from my wife last year.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get the most durable case your money can buy because they are barbaric on cases...you never know when the handler is an anti...trust me I've heard horror stories from friends...like footprints on cases, tire marks on tires, cracks, dents etc...they throw them around just like everything else not to mention losing them.

When I flew to KS, I shipped my bow via UPS....it got there before I did and the outfitter shipped it home to me. It was cracked even with UPS....you spend all that money on a bow, protect it.

Tips, never ship or fly anything that looks hunting, no camo etc.....
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

FLAMBEAU!!!!!!!!???
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll be purchasing a SKB double case, this Fall/Winter. I've got trips planned to KS next year.....and to WY in '09. I'm sure there'll be something before or after that that will warrant the purchase. I have a lot tied up in my bowhunting equipment.....and I look at it as insurance.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys looking at SKB........please don't buy the freedom case unless it will only see the inside of your vehicle. We have several that arrived at the shop new last year that were cracked in shipping.........I can't imagine what a good toss by the airline baggage crew would do to one of these. Spend the extra $$$ and get the higher end case from SKB........just an FYI.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Guys looking at SKB........please don't buy the freedom case unless it will only see the inside of your vehicle. We have several that arrived at the shop new last year that were cracked in shipping.........I can't imagine what a good toss by the airline baggage crew would do to one of these. Spend the extra $$$ and get the higher end case from SKB........just an FYI.
You know its funny how much more built up the Freedom cases are than say the $30 cheapo Planos or Flambeaus... yet, the Freedom case specifically lists in the specs that it is NOT for airline use. All the meanwhile, Plano says that its $30 case is airline ready...

A friend took my Dakota 97 in 330 Dakota to Africa with him. Had it in an SKB case with his Styer 30/06. One of the heavy handed baggage handlers apparently toted it up the air traffic control tower and threw for distance. The drop acctually sheered the action screw on the Dakota (which is the weakest part of an otherwise SOLID rifle), and his S&B scope was moved a full 1/2" in its rings on the Styer. Nothing is really airline proof.

Another case worth a look: Pelican.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 AM

i got a plano works great!