Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie, intro and a couple ?'s >

Newbie, intro and a couple ?'s

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie, intro and a couple ?'s

Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Newbie, intro and a couple ?'s

well, first off, i'd like to say Hi to everyone... i'm new around here so bear with me a bit... a bit of an intro, turning 39 this season, been a gun hunter for yrs, have been interested in bow for a long time (longer than guns believe it or not), actually bought my first bow with paper route money back in the late 70's-early 80's (an old Bear WhiteTail Hunter), learned to shoot with some neighbor kids but never really hunted with it... at any rate, now my oldest boy is getting into outdoor life in a big way, fishing, hunting, camping and etc., of course i'm thrilled to death with it cuz he's only 7yrs old and showing very little interest in video games and such... which is of course drawing me back into bows now that i'll have a hunting partner (none of my current friends are bow jockeys at all, they prefer rifle)...

well, i've been researching a bit on the web (lurking around here for a couple weeks) and trying to get a handle on how things have changed since I last actively shot bows (about 15 odd years ago)... needless to say i'm doin a bit of catch up work here...

at any rate, back to the subject at hand, i'm going to be getting a new rig sometime this year, though I know it won't be in time to make the season for me (not by the time i get practiced up and etc.) so I'm gonna sit this season out (on the bow) and get prepped for next season with lotsa practice and some 3d while i purchase my additional gear (stands, camo, etc.)... my questions are gonna be many and probably frequent... so i'll start with these...

in my search for a new rig my internet research has led me to several nice rigs, though I've not had a chance to fire (much less even draw) any of them... right now the ones high on my list are diamond's liberty and black ice, bowtech's tribute and allegiance, matthews switchback, hoyt trykon, and bear truth... I'd love to jump all the way to a top-o-the-line rig like the Drenalin and Gaurdian, but I don't see the need all things considered (money being a big factor since i'm gonna be setting up for two people)... probably each of those listed are way more than I can use effectively, but I'm a firm believer in buying things right the first time so you can use it for a long time without problem... so i'll spend good money for good gear, but i don't want to spend ridiculous money on gear I'm not going to be good enough to utilize for a long time... those of you who've had a chance to fire some of those, can ya give me some impressions...

second question is regarding my boy... he's a pretty good sized kid (52" tall, about 60lbs), athletic, reasonable strength for his age, and quite coordinated... at the local Gander Mt we tested his draw length to be about 20.5"-21"... i'd like to get a reasonable rig for him to learn on that can progress with him for a bit until he's ready for something a little more aggressive... suggestions??

thanks for the help guys/gals and lotsa luck with your hunts this year...

Tony
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie, intro and a couple ?'s

First of all...welcome! I'm rather new myself but this site is great and everyone is helpful! I personally shoot a Mathews Switchback and I love it. I shot an old Golden Eagle for years and I finally upgraded. The smoothness and quietness of the bow is unbelievable. They are also very accurate. I use one pin for 0-35 yards. I have practiced enough and tuned it for me so that I know that I can put that pin right on and hit the "pie plate" effectively every time. The groupings are tight! Hope this helps!!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 AM

First off, welcome to the forums! We look forward to hearing more from you.

Now, to answer your questions.....There is no one certain answer. Just like rifles, your bow must be the right one for you. Any of the ones you mention will be great. Really, the best thing to do is this...First, set a price limit and stick with it. Don't get talked into spending more money than you wanted to. Then, head to a reputable pro shop, get fitted for DL and such, and shoot every bow you can in your price range. You'll know the one you want. A reputable pro shop is your best friend at the moment, because if you think choosing your bow is difficult, wait till you try to decide what to dress her up with! [8D]

Same with your boy. Same set of "rules." If I would recommend 1, it would be the Browning Rage. LOTS of room for growth, and it's a great bow, but don't limit yourself to just that one.

You're probably going to find yourself getting frustrated at times, but try to have as much fun with it as possible. Getting the right rig can be alot of fun.

I've shot the Trykon, and it's a good bow. If you decide on that, one thing I would recommend as an add on.....STS system. The STS does absolute WONDERS for the Trykon.

I applaud you for your method. You're doing research and asking questions, which is exactly what you should do. So many folks decide what bow they want before they've ever shot any of them....Big mistake.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

All bows mentioned are decent bows!!! Any of them should last the long haul!!! Your best bet is to find a local shop and go shoot the various bows, that your interested in buying,and see what one fits you best!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:33 AM

welcome to the forums i am actully new too, for your son, i am not sure how much weight he can pull back, but a genisis bow, pse deer hunter, or alpine micro are good youth bows, hope this helps and all the bows you mentioned are very good bows now just shoot em and decide.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM

thanks guys, sounds like i'm on the right track... fortunately the pro-shop i bought my first bow at ~1980 is still in biz (though in a different location) and for some of the incidental stuff i've got a bass pro and gander mt both within about 15 minutes of me...
Old 09-05-2007, 11:40 AM

Welcome,

after 10 years away from archery and bowhunting, I just went and bought myself a hoyt vectrix XL. I went to a specialty archery shop (not a chain store) and shot about 8 bows before i decided on the vectrix. I shot Mathews, bowtech, bear, darton, ross, etc., and the one that felt best for me was the hoyt vectrix.

I recommend you do the same...shoot them all and pick the one that feels best for you. They are all pretty comparable, but you will definitely notice differences when you shoot them all back to back. I love my vectrix. It is silky smooth, quiet, no shock or vibration after the shot, and the arrows are absolute laser beams to the bullseye.

Don't sell yourself short...the "top-of-the-line" models are not too advanced for you. after some practice, you will see that you can handle them easily. They are the same as their cheaper counterparts only faster and quieter and smoother and likely built with higher quality.

With that in mind,much of your satisfaction will depend on the accessories you put on the bow. A good"drop away" rest and quality sight will make a difference. I believe that these components can make or break your rig.

And finally, make sure you get it set up with the right arrows (length, weight, stiffness) and paper-tune the bow. You will notice a big difference in arrow flight before and after the paper tune.

All the changes in technology over the past 15 years are definitely for the better. Everything is so much quieter, faster, and with less shock.You will be impressed when you draw and fire your potential candidates. Good luck, and let us know what you get.

Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

well, i've been researching a bit on the web (lurking around here for a couple weeks) and trying to get a handle on how things have changed since I last actively shot bows (about 15 odd years ago)... needless to say i'm doin a bit of catch up work here...

Tony
So SevenMag, are you still in shock or have you gotten over it ?

This is a great place, educational and entertaining all in one so enjoy and good luck.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: BKE

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

Tony
So SevenMag, are you still in shock or have you gotten over it ?

This is a great place, educational and entertaining all in one so enjoy and good luck.
only shock i'm feelin so far is the impending doom on my bank account!!!!

ME >><<Wallet

which could also be read WIFE>> << ME

haha!!! i'm excited to get goin and there's a part of me that keep sayin just walk into the shop, open the wallet, bend over and leave with a smile...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: pig dog 02

Welcome,

after 10 years away from archery and bowhunting, I just went and bought myself a hoyt vectrix XL. I went to a specialty archery shop (not a chain store) and shot about 8 bows before i decided on the vectrix. I shot Mathews, bowtech, bear, darton, ross, etc., and the one that felt best for me was the hoyt vectrix.

I recommend you do the same...shoot them all and pick the one that feels best for you. They are all pretty comparable, but you will definitely notice differences when you shoot them all back to back. I love my vectrix. It is silky smooth, quiet, no shock or vibration after the shot, and the arrows are absolute laser beams to the bullseye.

Don't sell yourself short...the "top-of-the-line" models are not too advanced for you. after some practice, you will see that you can handle them easily. They are the same as their cheaper counterparts only faster and quieter and smoother and likely built with higher quality.

With that in mind,much of your satisfaction will depend on the accessories you put on the bow. A good"drop away" rest and quality sight will make a difference. I believe that these components can make or break your rig.

And finally, make sure you get it set up with the right arrows (length, weight, stiffness) and paper-tune the bow. You will notice a big difference in arrow flight before and after the paper tune.

All the changes in technology over the past 15 years are definitely for the better. Everything is so much quieter, faster, and with less shock.You will be impressed when you draw and fire your potential candidates. Good luck, and let us know what you get.

Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

THX PD02!!! I may take you up on the PM offer... I see you are in the same rough area I am, I'm in the NE IL area, Antioch to be specific... can you tell me about a couple decent shops in our area??? at the moment I only know of one (Outdoorsman in Winthrop Harbor, IL)

Quick Reply: Newbie, intro and a couple ?'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.