Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting fenced in animals >

Hunting fenced in animals

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting fenced in animals

Old 09-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting fenced in animals

Most of the high fence hunts buy their deer from deer farmers. As deer farmers my family wont sell to anyone but other deer farmers, however a good friend of ours and fellow deer farmer does sell to high fence.SOME of thedeer that the high fence buy are in contact with people daily from the day their born until theyre 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 yrs old. In that amount of time they no longer associate humans with danger. When were just outside the deer remain bedded, but as soon as we enter the gate (which isnt always feeding time) the deer whether they see us or just smell us come in to take a look and walk right up to you. Im sure this is the same on other deer farms. Even a friend of mine that had never been to our house walked in the pen and the deer surrounded him sniffing him and licking him. If these are the type of deer that the high fence areas use, which most of them do because they want quality deer and want to see what their clientel are paying for, then I dont consider it hunting. Its about like "hunting" the family dog. Some deer on thehigh fenceare wild, some are not. On free range, their all wild and elusive, and thats HUNTING.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rediculous......
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Ethical? I guess. I mean they are just like livestock. They're well fead and cared for. Fair? Not at all.

I think big fenced in ranches that block migration routes are unethical. Fenced in ranches in Texas or somewhere, where they use fences to control population, Ok I guess i might do it, but I wouldn't pay a dime for it. But deer from deer farms I would never even consider.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Doesn't interest me, although it depends on the fence area acreage wise. If you want to hunt Africa, 90% of the hunts that I have checked into, are all high fence. It may be a 12,000 acre compound, but it is still high fence. You will never see the fence and would never know there was one there unless you asked the question. The owners deal in Kudus, wildebeast, impalas, etc, like a rancher here deals in cattle. So I guess it all matters on the acres involved.
Thats why I went to Namibia, no high fences, or a least not nearly as many as in South Africa proper!! Almost every hunt I looked into in SA was High Fenced, it wasn't for me, Namibia was for me! 60,000 acres of no fences!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion....it shouldn't be called high fence "hunting". It should be aptly named high fence "shooting".

There is no hunting involved when the animals are caged. I don't care how many acres are involved.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 PM

Well, it's legal. I guess it's ethical if they make ethical shots and kill the deer cleanly. Fair? Not in the context most of us put it in. You know what I mean, a bunch of deer on just a few acres of land. I guess if that's their cup of tea, go ahead. But if you brag about it to me I'll call you on it. I think it should be illegal for joe blow to shoot a huge deer on a farm and then acts like it was a "hard hunt" or something. it's about as ethical as bodybuilders getting on steroids and claiming to be "natural" as the next guy, BS.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Fork Horn

Thestatements about the "handicapped"are pure BS. I took care of a gentleman in our ICU who was a paraplegic from falling out of a treestand. He not only still hunts, but helps maintain 200 acres owned by himself and his brother. He has taken a deer every year, and some nice bucks at that. Capitalism creates lots of ugly industries, and this is just one. To each his own,just make sure totake pride in your own accomplishments. Good luck this year!!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

if it was a large are say 100 acres i would but any thing less not me
Old 09-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

High fenced hunts[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]. NUFF said.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

What if we're talking about 60,000 acres?? Say like aranch in Texas?

Quick Reply: Hunting fenced in animals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.