Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pics from Colorado >

Pics from Colorado

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pics from Colorado

Old 09-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pics from Colorado

Don,

Thanks for the offer, but I had all the room I needed...

The Spring Green was absolutely perfect for ground hunting out there. I was going to have a buddy take a shot of me in Fall Gray in a treestand among the aspens, but we ran out of time. I expected it would have looked equally as great.

Bullet Hole, I did indeed put an arrow through a cow... but unfortunately we weren't able to recover her. I'll be back next year though with a renewed vengeance!

And thanks RD... Colorado was a great birthday present
Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 PM

Very nice, thanks for sharing! This is the stuff that keeps me motivated!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Glad your trip was safe! Also glad you had a good time, thanks for sharing that w/ those of us that weren't there.....
Old 09-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

HeyGreg,

Sorry about the cow but we all know in the "real world"things don't alwaysturn out peaches and cream...

I didn't score either. Whiffed over the back of a smallish bull shooting up the mountain and two other close encounters didn't result in a shot. Oh well, that is why they call it hunting. I'm going back in a couple of weeks, perhaps things will go better, I can hope.

Great pics by the way....

Here is a setting moon giving way to day break from my trip....

[/align][/align]
Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Happy Birthday!

Great photos to go along with great memories. Glad to see you had such a good time...

How did the prehunt conditioning work out for you?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 AM

Glad to hear you had a good time out there in elk country. Beautiful pics.

What kind of boots are those in the tent? Comfy?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck, Roskoe... I was certainly hoping to come home with a few hundred pounds of elk meat. Hope you end up with something, too. You're right; it's not easy, but it sure is a blast!

Thanks, Ken... She was only the third animal in well over a decade of serious bowhunting that I've lost. I was pretty torn up over it. In the future, I think I'll take my chances at trying to stop them, even if they have bolted at the sound of cow calls earlier in the week. They'll either stop, and I'll have a great shot, or they can run and I won't have a shot.

Scott, I never really felt it too bad body-wise one bit... I think I was plenty prepared enough from a physical standpoint. Now, the altitude... I'm not sure if you can really prepare for that enough. The biggest thing I noticed was that I've developed a habit over the years in the Midwest whitetail woods of when I think I hear a stick snap or footfalls or anything, I start breathing really shallow in an effort to minimize the noise so I can hear more acutely. I caught myself doing the same thing out there, and I noticed it when all of a sudden I felt completely out of breath (even after I'd been standing still or sitting on stand for a long time) and would have to take a big gulp of air to replenish my oxygen. Breathing 1/4 out there just doesn't cut it.

Duc, those are the new Dream Season boots from Scentblocker in the mid-level cut... I had just got them in a couple days before I left and took them as a backup pair in the event of an emergency and needed some other boots. I did wear them around camp one day, and they are extremely comfy -- once you get them on. I wish there was someother system available for inserting your foot besides the opening in the compression top... I could use a zipper or some laces. They're almost too hard to get your foot into, but seem like they may be worth it afterwards. I'm still reserving my final opinion until I put them through their paces more later during whitetail season.

I received a big order in with those boots from Scentblocker, and I can tell you one of the nicest items I was super-impressed with is their travel duffel bags (You can see I'm using two of them; they're the black and yellow ones up against the wall of the tent). These are the heaviest-duty duffel bags and best-constructed I've seen in a long time... Probably the best I've seen short of my actual Army duffel bags in OD I used years ago. Well worth the money if you're going to be travelling and want to look sharp doing it in my opinion! Here's a better pic of them before we started setting up:

Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Looking at those pics makes me think of my 2 hunting partners that are out in northern Colorado as I write this. I imagine that they have about the same scenery as the photos you posted. By the way, thanks for that thread on cresting. During my research of that subject I happened on it and that lead me to this great website.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome back man, I was wondering if you'd returned and had any success. Looks like a great trip regardless of elk or not. Glad to hear you had a good time, now it's time to get to work on those whitetails. Take care.

kelly
Old 09-03-2007, 01:57 PM

Freakin' awesome! That's my dream one of these days...good for you that you got to experience it!

Quick Reply: Pics from Colorado

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.