Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stopped at the pro shop today... >

Stopped at the pro shop today...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stopped at the pro shop today...

Old 09-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Stopped at the pro shop today...

So, I stopped at the pro shop to have a String Tamer put on the Mace, and get the last of thestring vibration eliminated, and add the final touch before hunting season... So I did, and it worked awesome.

String Tamer - nice product, but this is NOT a post about String Tamers... or STS's... Or Mean V's...

So, I take it back into the range to make sure my zero didn't change, and take a few shots, going over my marks.

In walks this guy, complaining wife in tow. A walking stereotype - half pound of skoal in his lip, spare tire gut, big buck tattoo, NASCAR shirt, camo hat, very obviously shooting his bow for the first time this year... He's got this old PSE Polaris, and a fistfull of XX75 2117's.

Now, I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt. I've seen some people really shoot those old PSE bows. I say "hello" and make some small talk. I try not to judge people, I really do,but stereotypes are stereotypes,so sometimes you just can't help yourself. We talked a little deer hunting - he says he's on a monster buck, the usual b.s. Anyway...

A finger shooter, he points the bow at the ceiling and horks it back - growling as it broke over the wall. We're not talking about a little grunt. This was a full-blown ROAR. Like the sound a powerlifter makes when he puts up 385 on the flat bench...

So the string is coming back... coming back... still coming back... He finally anchors it all the way BEHIND HIS JAW, and puts his eyeball right up against the peep sight (like he's looking through a monocular), takes aim, and turns it loose. I swear to god, his hand was all the way back behind his ear, eyelashes brushing up against the peep sight. Arrow missed a 3-spot target by 4'. String WHALES him in the wrist.

He proceeds to cuss like a sailor.

Nocks another arrow, repeats ("RAWWWWRRRR!!!").This one hits3' away from the target - on the opposite side!

He told me that he thinks his glove was not fitting right, because he usually "groups 'em so tight that you can barely fit a dollar bill between the arrows." (He wasn't joking).

I couldn't even shoot anymore... It was taking everything I had to refrain from just totally wetting myself. Dude, everytimethis guywould shoot,he drew with a triumphant ROAR, and theshot was followed by a profanity-laced tirade, and I'd just peek over at his lane to see where he hit - always 2+ feet off center. LMAO I was dying. I couldn't even hold my own bow back. I swear - the funniest thing you ever saw.

Everytime he would hit the 2'x2' target (anywhere on the paper) - his old lady would clap and cheer like a Jerry Springer episode.

People wonder why I am the way I am. This is why. This fool plans on taking his bow out and bowhunting...The shop owner and I even tried to help him out - told him that his DL was "a touch too long," and he (and his old lady)wanted to argue with me about it. Guy (and his old lady) insisted that he was just "a little rusty." Seriously...

Things like that make methink that you should have to take some kind of accuracy or equivalency test before you're allowed to bowhunt.

Unreal. [>:]

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

I swear - I wish you guys could've seen it. I thought I was on Candid Camera or something.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stopped at the pro shop today...

DING_DING_DING--Looks like we got a winner
Old 09-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW...................

Cool product btw!

How much do they cost?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too had a similar experience Saturday. Well not completely similar but in the instance that people don't believe you and are complete jerks.

As most of you know I work at a proshop. I was working Saturday and a guy came in that we have had notorious trouble with just because, well, he is a flat out JERK. Like most proshops we keep fletched arrows, and we have a lady do it that has been doing it for us for years. This is the first instance we've had with him, he complained about EVERY single fletching because they were SLIGHTLY staggered, like 1/32 of an inch. We said no problem, and offered to refletch them for him. We did, and we used AAE Fast Set Gel, don't know if you guys are familiar with it but it's basically super glue, strongest stuff I've ever seen and I've never had a vane fall off with it. We fletched them and he came to pick them up, he was actually pleased with them and took them home to shoot. He came back the very next day with 2 arrows that have fletchings missing. Both of them have black marks ALL over them. Usual Whisker Biscuit signs, so we asked him if that was what he was using. Of course it was and not to mention it was one of the all black models, which are the roughest on arrows. He pitched a fit of course so we gave him vanes to fletch himself. BEfore he left he had us put together a PSE Nova for him that he had painted himself, it looked, well, different. LOL. We helped them, and he came back yesterday, asking me to see how close he got the level and centershot on his arrow rest, I put it in the vise. Told him it was off and asked him if he wanted me to adjust it, he said, "there's no way it's wrong, but go ahead." I moved the centershot deadnutz and went to move the nocking point because it wasn;t level and the arrow was going WAY low through the Berger button and he said dont move that, that's how it's supposed to be. I tried showing him what I was talking about, it's not like it was some hidden secret, I was using levels and everything. I said ok sir. He then got to looking at the bow and said, "That centershot is a MILE off." Once again I tried showing him how we lined it up, and everything. He said I don't care how you do it, it's not right. That was kinda the last straw for me. I still handled it professionally and said, If you want to go shoot it thru paper, go ahead, thats the only way to tell for sure. He said, I don't have time for that. I went and got my boss, and he looked at it and said that it was deadnuts perfect. The guy acted nice and believed him. Just one of these wonderful citizens we have in this country.

I didn't mean to make this post this long I just wanted to tell a story.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

$30-40 Nice product. Made by Duravanes.

Coug... Trust me, I feel ya buddy.

The difference between your guy and my guy - your guy actually knew that the arrow was supposed to be centered and leveled (just had no clue how to do it). My guy was shooting his arrows off the bare shelf on the bow (no rest). He would cant his bow to the right so that the arrow didn't fall off(like a trad shooter) and turn it loose. His arrows were also full-length shafts - about 7" too long. LMAO

Just one of those people where you just take one look at what they're doing, shake your head, and walk away.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, great post.............just shows how ignorant and bull headed people are.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

May have judged to soon I think we have a tie!

Nahhh--JK--I did my time in pro shop years ago--One of the funniest jobs and one the most ---you get my drift!!
Old 09-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder what he thought about a over bowed yuppie flashing big wads of cash and sipping on gin and juice.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

If he has that much trouble pulling back with just a NASCAR t-shirt on just imagine how much he will be grunting in his hunting clothes. Not to worry, doesn't sound like he is going to do to much to the local deer herd!
Old 09-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Quick

You can't tell guys like that anything. If you try to help them then you are a "know-it-all." Been there done that.

Quick Reply: Stopped at the pro shop today...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.