Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 have you ever hunted with an outfitter >

have you ever hunted with an outfitter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
33.33%
no
60.00%
it should be a crime
6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

have you ever hunted with an outfitter

Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 PM

Default have you ever hunted with an outfitter

your thoughts on outfitters
Old 09-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: have you ever hunted with an outfitter

3 Trips to the midwest. 2 were in Illinois and the third was in Missouri. Here is the jist of what happened. In Illinois, it was a small operation run by a young man and his family on their 1,600 acre beef farm. Great deer, great land, over hunted stands. The 2 occassions that we visited were the last week he took hunters in for the year. Usually the second week of November. There was 3 of us that went each time. All of us had the same observations. The deer were very well versed in the stands and their locations by the time we arrived to hunt. The accomodations were with the family. I.E. any cooking and other scents from the home mixed with our gear as we did not have any other options on where we could put it.

In Missouri, another young man being funded by his father started up a hunting operation. 8,000 acres under lease and not a clue as to whether or not the stands were in good locations or not. It was soon obvious that he had some acerage that was better than others. This was kept for "certain" hunters. The most notable were two hunters from Drury Outdoors and several of his corporate sponsers. While these gentleman would come in and say that they passed on a couple of 130's each day, the rest of us struggled to just see a couple of does. I did have an opportunity at a 140+ 10 point that I have no one but myself to blame though.

Bottom line is that outfitters provide a much requested service. For those of us that don't have the access to prime whitetails such as those in the midwest what other options are there? My plans are for going to Iowa next fall. My hunting partners and I applied for and received a preference point this year. Hopefully next year we can have another great experience together in the deer woods.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

I have only used an outfitter to turkey hunt, but Id go back and hunt with them for deer.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted with an outfitter 3 yrs now and recieved everything that was promised. I have had oppurtunities to kill some nice deer seen nicer deer and held out(you know that story). All three hunts were in Illinois THE HUNT CLUB very nicewest Illinois this year trying something new for no particular reason Coppers Creek up in the north west section of Illinois.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:26 PM

I worked for one and am casting my vote as "it should be a crime".
Old 09-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, this year will be my third time hunting with an outfitter.To hunt inCanada,a non-residentMUST havea guide/outfitter, or be "hosted". There are good ones and not so good ones out there, so you have to do your homework. I think they certainly have their place in the "hunting" world.
In some areas a guy would be a fool not to use an outfitter. They have agood idea of what's going on within a given area. I have learned a lot from my guide. I'll continue to use one in the future.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bkalbach

I worked for one and am casting my vote as "it should be a crime".

why???? how bout some details
Old 09-02-2007, 04:15 PM

interesting replies so far.I know that just like everything else in life, some are real good, some are real bad.

bkalbach, care to elaborate?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:20 PM

I have hunted with outfitters in Candada and the states. Only two so far one for bear in Canada and one for Whitetail in Wisconsin. To make a long story short, I am going back to both places. I was fortunate to have great outfitters on both. I think it is like anything else, take your time and do your research, check references and maybe pay the extra buck if you can.

Whitetail with Wisconsin Outdoor Adventures

Old 09-02-2007, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Sioux County

interesting replies so far.I know that just like everything else in life, some are real good, some are real bad.

bkalbach, care to elaborate?

as we all know, hind sight is 20/20. knowing that, i should have told my boss he was cheating people out of money and quit. i was 18 at the time, fairly mild mannered, and not out to burn any bridges in this outdoors game.

i did learn a lot working there, set some hunters up on some nice deer, and had a lot of fun.

we had close to 200 stands up between 6 and 8 guides depending on how busy we were. it was impossible for everyone to know them all. we had maps and just drew dots on them where the stands were and handed them out between each other. it wasnt uncommon for me to set foot on a farm for the first time ever, lead 3 guys into stands having NO clue what each stand's situation was. they'd ask stuff like "which way are they coming from?" and i'd have to come up with "well there's a creek crossing about 150 yards behind you and they're following a trail from there out to the field, they'll be about 30 yards on your right". it was either that or say "uhh..i dunno". nobody who just put up all that money wants to hear "uhh...i dunno".

overhunting stands was also ridiculous. if a guy saw a big buck go in the woods 100 yards away my boss had us in there that afternoon moving it closer. there'd be a hunter in it every day the next week, with each being lead to believe they were the first in there or that this was a brand new farm we just got or something.

sometimes it was just stupid little things like being told to throw old shed antlers near stands that we'd never even seen deer around, he just needed another stand on a farm to fit another guy on it, and that way the guy would think he's in the area of some big deer.

my boss was a waterfowl guy and, admittedly, only got into deer for the money. he was notorious for pushing deer too soon after bad shots. one hunter who came with us many times and i personally got to know got excited one evening and made a bad shot on a very nice buck. rather than back off and wait till morning my boss rallied the troops and we jumped it about 80 yards from where it was shot. we then pulled out and tracked it the next day into an impenetrable swamp.

we had to put hunters in a stand and then having to (quietly) go to another place on the same farm and put up more stands if they'd been seeing deer there.

all that being said, those things didnt happen in every case with every hunter. there were some farms that i knew inside and out and one in particular that i still hold a special place in my heart for because i know what lives there and that nobody will ever kill any of them.

what we, as guides, ran into often were hunters with the mentality of "these aren't my deer so i don't care what happens to them". it wasnt uncommon for hunters to lie about shooting at animals (we always had to slyly count their arrows when they went in and came out), we had one guy who lost all his arrows shooting at a 120 class buck 80 yards away, one guy who took face shots, one guy who stood tiptoe on his stand with his release and bow way above his head to try to get a shot over some branches, a guy shot a deer with 7 slugs, one (that i have a pic of somewhere) was allegedly a 140 class monster with a drop tine and turned out to be a broken racked small buck. that guy denied up and down that he shot that deer until we took him back to his stand and showed him the blood trail and he finally admitted it. guys would complain about not seeing any deer and after they left we would go check out their stands to find piles of cigarette butts and candy wrappers littering the ground. we got sort of jaded to the whole thing and started to feel that we had to be defensive to every hunter who came in and always assume that they were hiding something.

all in all i'm pretty neutral on the whole experience. i shouldn't have tolerated what i did and let it go on but i can't go back and undo any of it. hate me if you want....it is what it is.

Quick Reply: have you ever hunted with an outfitter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.