Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Questionable Meat from the doe >

Questionable Meat from the doe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questionable Meat from the doe

Old 01-07-2003, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Questionable Meat from the doe

Well, I'm thinking about it. I don't think I'm going to take a chance. I just went out and peeled back some of the hide on the front shoulder. It's not puss oozing but it has been infected. It looks like it was trying to heal. I saw the point of bone in this hole and flicked it with my knife. A piece of leg bone low in the shoulder about 2 inches long and split in half flopped out when I flicked it. I can't really tell what caused it. My thinking is an OLD muzzleloader or something like that. Looks like the just smashed across the front of the shoulder/leg and missed the chest entirely. It's OLD.... not from this recent muzzleloader season. She's definitely lost a lot of weight, yet ran like any other deer except for carrying the one leg off the ground. The bone fragment is all off color from past infection. I just don't know on this one. She froze last night so drainage isn't showing from the wound. Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2003, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Questionable Meat from the doe

OK, I peeled some more. Further inspection reveals a bullet went through the shoulder, sliced through the brisket and across the front of the off shoulder. Underneath the busted shoulder it's really nasty looking. It's really healed a lot from where it probably was, but she must have had a hard few weeks sometime or other... my guess a couple months ago is when it happened. BUT, seeing what's been there and with the condition of her body weight... she's heading for the dump I feel.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes got to eat to.

Protect your hunting rights, "Spay or neuter a liberal."
Old 01-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

You think it effected the hindquaters through the bloodstream? Just asking, I wouldn't know.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know MD. I just assumed it would contaminate it all. AM I wrong? Anyone know?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:04 AM

i do not know for sure but i would not be surprised if a little is everywhere. the blood carys it to what, the liver or what ever is going to filter it. i personally would not take a chance.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:16 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

David,
I dont think I would take the chance. Sorry.
Rick

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:22 AM

Dave I've always felt that an infection anywhere in the body gets carried throughout via the bloodstream. I wouldn't risk it. Besides, I really can't imagine your freezer being empty.

http://home.att.net/~turc1202/Hybridt.jpg " />
Old 01-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

David I wouldn't chance it, as others have said it may be in the entire blood stream. You may want to ask a butcher.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-07-2003, 09:48 AM

I would not chance anything with this deer. You don't know what the infection has done to her blood, maybe nothing but there is really no reason to chance it. I agree that the coyote got to eat!!!

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"

Quick Reply: Questionable Meat from the doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.