Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3rd Rut is Now!

Old 01-17-2002, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 3rd Rut is Now!

After weeks of very little hunting--and even fewer daylight sightings, I saw something this morning that got my attention. Just as I was getting really bored and was contemplating leaving early since I wasn't seeing anything, eight deer trotted over the horizon headed in my direction! At first, I thought they were all does--which I was more than willing to harvest, but then I thought I saw a flash of antler. I quickly brought out my binoculars and was surprized to see a very nice buck with a very massive and symetrical rack--at least 8 long points. He neck was outstretched and he was scent-checking the does. He found one that smelled right and chased her away from the rest (I heard him grunt a couple of times). The others eventually made their way towards me, but the only one that offered me a shot was a youngster--the smallest of the group--and I won't shoot young deer. I later saw the "buttons" too, making me even happier that I didn't attempt a shot. The big boy never reappeared, but he certainly was acting like it was early November!

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:47 AM

Default RE: 3rd Rut is Now!

I guess it would be a 3rd rut seems kind of late in the year.I bet your heart was pounding when you saw the buck.Glad to here you passed up the button buck.I hope you get a 2nd chance on the buck.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 10:22 AM

Just like you, I've been sitting and sitting. Yesterday I saw my first action too(in quite some time). It wasn't any deer, but five turkeys. That was exciting too. Good luck huntin. Lookin forward to another rut!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

So out comes that special bottle of "Doe in Heat" that I've been saving for just such an occassion.....
Old 01-17-2002, 01:42 PM

bucks have lost their horns here.