Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why People, Why? >

Why People, Why?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why People, Why?

Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Why People, Why?

Okay heres the question ive been scouting pretty much nightly and have been seeing this seven pointer that has 4 points on one side like any other eight pointer then his other side is stunted has only 2 points after which the main beam curls like a ram horn down to his head he doesnt seem injured and looks to be 2.5 yrs old so why do you think hes this way and would you shoot him or let him go even though my area has a lot of hunters

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 PM

Default RE: Why People, Why?

He could've injured that antler when it was growing, or gotten sick, or hit by a car...lots of possibilities. And personally, if it's a legal buck, I'd shoot it.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Could be either an injury to the rack or something in hes gene's. I'd give him another year. If his rack is still jacked up next year, I'd take him just to get his DNA out of the gene pool.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bkalbach

He could've injured that antler when it was growing, or gotten sick, or hit by a car...lots of possibilities. And personally, if it's a legal buck, I'd shoot it.
I love unique deer, most people here know that...it's opportunities that I look forward to, unique or how the hunt unfolds etc...

I'd have to see him to really tell if I'd shoot him or not.

The above quote is right, it could very well have been an injury you can't see.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try to shoot a bigger deer or one that is more uniform if your wanting to have one mounted...if not then after hunting a few months and your wanting to put meat in your freezer I would shoot him for the meat.Some of the deer with odd shaped racks are pretty and if it was big enough it may very well be worthy to mount!

On my way to work this morning I saw a deer standing close to the road edge so I slowed down...when he raised his head I saw a very tall rack with 1 long point on the left side and the right side had 2 tall split brow tines in full velvet....looked pretty neat for a odd shaped young Buck!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 PM

I once saw a 3 1/2 year old with one antler growing downward and under his chin, where it palmated. Kinda resembled a palmation on a caribou, only not very massive at all. His other side was 3 points including the brow tine. I had been sitting on top of a large grassy draw for a couple hours waiting for a doe, and when I stood up to leave he had walked up behind me to about 50 yards and froze. I wanted to take him badly because of the oddness of his rack, but had already filled my buck tag that morning on a small 5 point. Too bad, because it would have made a very interesting mount. I've seen other mounts like this, guess it's just genetics or an injury, not sure which.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:26 AM

Sounds like he would eat well.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck...........i like the wierdos and if he came under my stand i really dont think i could pass it up.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with rob, I love nontypicals and "different" racks
Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Two seasons ago a buddy of mine killed one of the most unique racks I've ever put my hands on. First of all, the deer weighed in a 220lbs which is a very big deer for SC. So, he was very healthy. He was a 6pt. His right side was nothing impressive. The size of the normal 6pt rack here in SC. The other side. Man ole man. Its pretty much one solid main beam that stretches over 24'' and almost the ENTIRE main beam is almost the size of a soda can.

What made it even more exciting is that he killed a buck the year before with the same rack, butsmaller. So, it had to be genetics in this case.

Quick Reply: Why People, Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.