Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Rut

Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default The Rut

Okay guys...I know this issue has probably been talked to death but would like to hear what your opinions are for this year... I have 7 days to fly up and hunt in Southern Wisconsin this year....understadning that weather conditions can jack with the rut and other issues can tweak it a bit....if you only had 7 days to hunt...what days would you hunt and why?

In your answer please include the following info...

1. Dates
2. Location (i.e. general larea ike Northern Missouri)
3. Why you chose those dates (i.e. beinging of the chasing phase, etc)
4. What you base you desision on (Alsheimer predictions, vacation time, hunting acorns, the moon, trail cam pics,etc.)

I have already booked my flight, but I am willing to change dates if I can get enough people to convince me that Oct 30 - Nov 6th is to late (or early).

Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Rut

1. Oct 29th through Nov 12....Nov 10th here in PA cause it's the last day.

2. North Central/east Pennsylvania.

3. Oct 29th through Nov 12th will be peak chasing phase/searching phase when the bucks are up and looking for receptive does. Shortly after the lock down or Peak rut happens when less bucs will be up and looking and they will be locked up on receptive does.

4. Alsheimers predictions, past history from 26 seasons and the last day for the PA season is Nov 10th this year. I always schedule the first 2 weeks of Nov off from work. If I had seven days to hunt in Wisconson, I would split a week and hunt Nov 5th through the 12th, or 6th through the 13th. I've also read where Oct 21 is the hard start of the prerut....however as an important date as that is that same researched showed that Oct 31 is an important date to be in the woods. A few days following the full moon over that date is when the chase phase really, really kicks into high gear, again, like you mentioned depending on weather conditioins ie, too hot, a cold front etc...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Rut

My vote would be Nov 5 - 12... That's just from my personal expierence in the areas that I hunt.... And of course it can be different every year...