Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I hunt from elevated blind? >

Should I hunt from elevated blind?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I hunt from elevated blind?

Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Should I hunt from elevated blind?

Here goes, I'm a bowhunter and have access to a hunting club in North Carolina. Rich guys come and tear up the ducks there in the winterbut they don't bother themselves with the deer. I was wanting to put a doghouse blind on an elevated platform (about 10') that is already on the island. There are several other elevated blinds throughout the island that are permanent. Do you think because they are used to those blinds being there I might be a bit more lucky in my setup. I would use the others but this one is in a patch of oaks and we have already put out a ton of corn and they have been tearing it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:48 PM

Default RE: Should I hunt from elevated blind?

I think that you have a good idea and would do it.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:55 PM

Pros and cons to using existing blinds. True it is easier to get ready for the season. More likely though the deer will know those blinds exist (people coming and going, coughing, talking all the bad things that people do in near a stand). I think you have a great idea to put up a new place. Try to fix it so that some thing cannot easily look up into the stand and tell if it's occupied or not. I have even contemplated leaving a shirt of mine in between hunts to get them more aclimated to my scent... Haven't quite gotten the nerve yet to try that though.

Good luck and if you need help thinning out the herd let me know.
From NC too
Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

try it what is the worst that could happen?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM

Try it. I am thinking about doing the same next year with an elevated platform and pop-up blind. The only con I can see is that your shot angles would make it so you'll need to take longer shots and not closer ones with the windows being up so high.