Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area? >

How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

I know every deer in my area.... I talk to them, especially the mature bucks. We even hangout together at "the watering hole".

I'm know in these parts as ..... The Deer Whisperer.

That's gospel. [:-]
Old 08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I know every deer in my area.... I talk to them, especially the mature bucks. We even hangout together at "the watering hole".

I'm know in these parts as ..... The Deer Whisperer.

That's gospel. [:-]
Teach me
Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 PM

I know of 3 mature bucks in my hunting area (500 acres).
Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Hey valor.. I was the guy who shot the deer with a Muzzy practice head, not Jeff (unless he did it too) - and based on the results of my first episode, well...it couldn't have been any deader. And I'm with Rybo - it's definitely not impossible for 40 different deer to use a 65 acre parcel over an entire season.
So why not just shoot target tips all the time. Double lung with one will still kill the deer. That's your arguement? Maybe you should just chuck a spear at a deer. It'll kill it just the same, right? So where exactly has this mysteryous deer count become fact? This guy claims 326 deer sightings withinn a 65 acre area, and assumes the herd is 40 deer within a square mile? Did he poll the deer? Are the Democrats or Republicans?OutdoormafiaKP, no beef you you. Why the post?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:31 PM

We have 4000 acres and figure our herd at 250-300 deer. Last season we took out 51 deer. 31 does and 20 bucks. Of the bucks we had 15 of them 3 1/2 years or older with 4 older than 5 1/2. Does were 18 at 3 1/2 or older with 3 of them 6 1/2- 7 1/2. Thats1 deer per 14.5 acres on the hoof and 1 mature buck per 266 acres. There are still plenty there but that was our numbers.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: valor10
OutdoormafiaKP, no beef you you. Why the post?
No beef with anyone! The post was poking fun at good ol' Longbeard, not you..sorry if you took that the wrong way.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:38 AM

Last year I only seen one and he's on the wall. I would say not many on the public land I hunt.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Well GMMAT, you don't hunt one square mile, you hunt 65 acres. By your admission. You base thisherd of yoursat 40 deer estimatedin a square mile, based on sightings of deer 326 times within your65 acres? 40 deer in a square mile is one thing, all 40 of those deer bieng spotted within the same 65 acres over and over is quite astounding. Unless of course there's a nice big feed troft.As far as your hunting prowess, you're the one that said you shot a practice head through an animal.Then again, if you shoot over some particular speed, broadhead sharpness isn't important anyway. Who's the rocket scientist? Can'twait to see picks of your trophies. So exciting!
Valor....As others have stated....it's not far-fetched at all. I estimate the herd I hunt at more like 55 deer. Now.....assuming I have a pretty good hunting spot (I do)....I'm sighting deer in the funnel I hunt going to their same feeding areas.....day in and day out. I assume that's what everyone else does. What you call "astounding" really isn't, if you asked me. No feed trough....but I do feed the deer 365 days a year (don't hunt over it)....and I do have a food plot (don't hunt over it, either). Both practices are completely legal in my state.

After you get the math straight......if you still feel like I'm hunting a petting zoo....that's fine. Doesn't concern me.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:07 PM

Dont know, in 7 years hunting the same30acres or so, I have only seen 7 or 8 bigguns. How ever I see lotsa does and small bucks.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Valor....As others have stated....it's not far-fetched at all. I estimate the herd I hunt at more like 55 deer. Now.....assuming I have a pretty good hunting spot (I do)....I'm sighting deer in the funnel I hunt going to their same feeding areas.....day in and day out. I assume that's what everyone else does. What you call "astounding" really isn't, if you asked me. No feed trough....but I do feed the deer 365 days a year (don't hunt over it)....and I do have a food plot (don't hunt over it, either). Both practices are completely legal in my state.

After you get the math straight......if you still feel like I'm hunting a petting zoo....that's fine. Doesn't concern me.
Well, I really don't care that you don't care GMMAT. I do owe you an apology though. My apologies for confusing you with another poster, so you may be the best and most ethicalshot around for all I know. Maybe I am jealous you gotso many deer. Good luck just the same. Hope your freezer is full, and you get the mount of yourdreams.

Quick Reply: How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.