Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Often overlooked scent control >

Often overlooked scent control

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Often overlooked scent control

Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Often overlooked scent control

Many on here strive to be scent free, don't forget about those overlooked items. Release straps, safety harnesses, gear packs, treestand straps, gloves, face masks etc.

Good hunting!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM

Default RE: Often overlooked scent control

Watch bands.....especially the velcro ones......

Good tip, rybo....good tip.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks, Rybo. While I've thought about all of those (I'm kind of a scent control freak), and wash almosteverything each time I hunt, except standstraps (which I almost always only handle with gloves) and my release, I was wondering what folks do with their releases. I use two releases: one for practice and one for actual hunting, where I wear my release over a glove. But even though both releases are supposedly the same, one is a little stiffer than the other, and I like to keep everything in my bow/release setup the same. Do you think that spraying the release with Scent Killer spray would kill enough ofmy scent?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great tip, many even don't do anything about thier hats...huge issue but rarely overlooked.

Backpacks and items inside, binos, rangefinder cameras etc...

Those Scent Killer wipes work great on such equipment rather than spray.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't forget the chlorophyl drops to de-scent yer eyeballs![8D]
Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Don't forget the chlorophyl drops to de-scent yer eyeballs![8D]
LOL [8D] AP, lol! There you go, you just thought of the next million dollar invention....
Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't forget the chlorophyl drops to de-scent yer eyeballs!
Interesting! Thanks for the tip [8D]

Those Scent Killer wipes work great on such equipment rather than spray.
Cool..... I don't have to look at scent killer spray spots through my binos anymore.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

i got a related story...

last year i was in my stand. a mature doe and fawn came through feeding. the mature doe walked DIRECTLY under my stand. i couldnt see her for a while because she was eating from the base of my tree. i use a climber and setup my climber there probably 10x in 3 weeks there. i know...rookie mistake of overhunting a spot. walked around the base of that tree in leather boots 100 times..touched the tree, laid down my bow and pack there etc. she never cared. till i realized my pull up rope was still hanging from my stand. it hit her back so she sniffed it. thats one item i know i never sprayed and touched with bare hands that werent sprayed. dont know why i didnt pull it up that hunt...i always do. she sniffed it and the ole tail went up...she didnt stick around much longer.

definently made me a believe of my spray...
Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I think one of the most over looked item is our vehicle. We spend all this time and money descenting ourselves and then sit in a seat that is probably pretty rancid with odors. I always wash a few towels to put in my backpack for various uses. I put two of them on the seat to keep my pants and shirt off the smelly seat.

Don't forget your safety harness. I'm thinking about dipping all of my staps in the washer water and hanging them out to dry with my last batch of descented clothes. Actually all of my clothes are descented and have been fermenting in a tote with cedar chips for a month now. All I need to wash are my packs, my stand cloth and my staps.

Just thought of something else...your calls, rattle bags (or horns) and other things you have in the stand with you.

Smelling Fresh
Reid
Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 AM

One thing I have noticed, you guys carry way to much crap into the woods...[8D]

I have everything I own in a rubbermaid container sprayed with earth scents and acorn wafers. This includes my gloves, my new ASAT camo suit, my straps, release and tree stand cushions. The only other thing I need to put in there is my new fanny pack...whenever I get one.

Quick Reply: Often overlooked scent control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.