Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

books...

Old 08-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default books...

every semester i try to sneak a couple hunting related books onto my book order list while ordering online. figure i save money by buying them online...why not buy a couple books to read for enjoyment/personal learning.

last semester i ordered Precision Bowhunting and Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails. i would recommend both to anyone that hunts the suburbs, pressured areas etc...both are pretty similar though..pretty decint books that i didnt mind reading front to back...

this semester i ordered "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon and "Finding Wounded Deer" by John Jr. Trout. Anyone ever read these 2?? good reads?? good info??

i picked those 2 because im interested in learning more about both topics. dad taught me how to grab a topo and do alot of scouting from the couch by finding funnels and ridges and saddles etc...but theres definently more to be learned...and if its a good read, i feel it will make me a better hunter, being i dont have tons of time to scout. i know i still gotta do the leg work..but reading a map will help me key in likely areas to go walk though instead of walking aimlessly. finding wounded deer...well...you get the idea...id like to learn as much about tracking as i can without loosing deer during the learning curve...hopefully the book helps...also i think ive seen both books mentioned here before...

just looking for reviews before i read them...already ordered them...just curious about them now...
Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: books...

Am in the middle of finding wounded deer, I love it. A good book for all experience levels. fun to read to
Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM

I've read Mapping Trophy Bucks......3 times. Absolutely an invaluable book for learning how to read topos and how deer relate to terrain.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:59 PM

MOmightymite has Finding Wounded deer...One of these days I'll get around to getting it from him and reading it. I've read bowhunting pressured whitetails, another good one. Mapping trophy whitetails is jsut the kind of book I've been looking for. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:45 PM

mapping trophy whitetails by Herndon is a GREAT read with informative diagram pictures to help you with what he's saying. great book
Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome...sounds like i picked 2 more good reads with good info.

kinda hard to find these days....a book with GOOD sound info that is. written by REAL world hunters that know what they are talkin about...i never really liked to read....but hear its important to keep the mind goin and reading is good for ya...i have always enjoyed reading hunting related stuff....wierd i can read a whole book like that but gimme a novel or something for class and i cant make it through a chapter...
Old 08-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

finding wounded deer is a must have in my opinion for any hunter. The information is priceless i carry the book in my truck during archery season and always go back and review it after i check the sign just to make sure. The book was well worth the money.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mapping Trophy Bucks....
Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the tip, Mauser (and everyone else who resommended it). I think I'll get "Finding Wounded Deer".

Happy hunting!