Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 TV shows, Gut Shots >

TV shows, Gut Shots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TV shows, Gut Shots

Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default TV shows, Gut Shots

How many people have been noticing the gutshots on television shows. I was watching a couple shows the other day and I noticed the arrow were hitting the deer a lil far back. Seems like I am seeing more and more of this. Then they track the deer and its right there. I understand on anagled shot yeah you want to shoot back, but on a broadside shot?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 AM

Default RE: TV shows, Gut Shots

Well I dunno they usually cut alot of footage out when they go for a recovery and make it seem shorter

Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

They're under a LOT of pressure to get kills on video.

There's going to be more and more of this (IMO). Rather than only air the good shots....they're going to get the kills on video to be able to show the antlers.

Just a fact.....
Old 08-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have filmed for different shows for 5 years now and you would not believe the morons that I have to film sometimes. A couple of years ago I filmed a guy from a leading ATV sponsor shoot an antelope in the back hips. The goat stood there as this moron reloaded and fired 2 more times and missed both shots. The goat still didn't move, probably because it's hips were broken, just stood there. He reloaded again and put on a STALK! I crap you not, he snuck through a ditch and popped up and finished this goat off. It was a 15" trophy. The final show was great, but it sure wasn't the truth. Editing is what you are seeing on these shows.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Virginia Mike

I have filmed for different shows for 5 years now and you would not believe the morons that I have to film sometimes. A couple of years ago I filmed a guy from a leading ATV sponsor shoot an antelope in the back hips. The goat stood there as this moron reloaded and fired 2 more times and missed both shots. The goat still didn't move, probably because it's hips were broken, just stood there. He reloaded again and put on a STALK! I crap you not, he snuck through a ditch and popped up and finished this goat off. It was a 15" trophy. The final show was great, but it sure wasn't the truth. Editing is what you are seeing on these shows.
Ok so I have to ask... what show was it?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM

I think this is a good thing. Not every shot that you are going to make at and animal is going to be a double lung shot. By showing some poor shots on t.v it shows that even the pros make bad shots too. These may not be where the pros wanted to shoot that deer, buts thats reality and it does happen.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

By showing some poor shots on t.v it shows that even the pros make bad shots too.
From what I have seen on the shows I would not classify any of them "PRO's" TV personalities yes Pro's never.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I think this is a good thing. Not every shot that you are going to make at and animal is going to be a double lung shot. By showing some poor shots on t.v it shows that even the pros make bad shots too. These may not be where the pros wanted to shoot that deer, buts thats reality and it does happen.
Then why don't they show the poor blood trails, backing out and waiting until the next day, the hard tracking for several hundred yards, etc etc?
Nope, they show the basic4 steps.

1. Shot
2. "Wow"
3. "There he is Steve, great shot"
4. Nascar syndrome (Name all sponsors and make sure not to forget any.)
Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is a huge pet peeve of mine only because they do not tell the viewer the time delay from shot to recovery. On some it's obvious they wait to the next day but I wish they'd educate people on why and what happened.

A gut shot is a fatal wound and a recovery can be very simple when precautions and education is taken.

I don't doubt at times on some of these shows they get 25 guys out to look and then do a fake recovery but I wish they'd explain it.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

I don't want to name any of the shows that I worked for because you never know who is on the net, but 2 of them are on MOR and the other is a cable show here in VA. I don't work for the local show anymore, he is using footage from local hunters and has a different idea of how to do a show than I do. We parted ways as friends. Another quick story since someone mentioned they may have 20 people tracking. I was filming a guy who is the father of one of the big wigs in the Bow Industry. We were in a blind in NM and had Elk all over us. We heard a huge Bugle and then the Elk stopped in front of the window of the blind about 2' from us and this guy shoots into the brown fur in the window. We have no idea at that point where the shot was because he just shot fur. The Tracking party was every hunter in camp, all 3 camera ops, 4 guides and the owner of the property. Nobody hunted for 3 straight days until we got a look at the Bull and found that the arrow had hit him in the shoulder and the Bull was fine. We all felt bad for the Older Shooter, but he knew he jumped the gun. The two finest hunters I have been in camp with led the track and didn't even think about hunting until we knew the fate of that bull. Bill Winke and Mark Kayser earned my respect on that hunt. This might not be the norm, but I was there and that is what happened. Some of these pros are hunters first and tv guys last. I have shared camps in Sasketchuan and Wyoming with those guys and they will never change. Hunters first, business second.

Quick Reply: TV shows, Gut Shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.