Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow problems

Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default arrow problems

When ever I shoot tend to have arrow go bit off target. I know nothing is wrong with the arrow. I am afraid that this may happen when out in the woods. My arrows go wher I want them probably 75-80% of the time. What about you guys? This is making bit mad I dont want to hurt a deer while hunting.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM

Default RE: arrow problems

If I shoot a group of 4 arrows, I tend to have one that goes a bit off course myself. It is nothing to be worried about.

For me it is my focus. Shooting at dots is BORING.

Focus on your form, slow down the pace of your shot and if at all possible, have someone take a picture of you at full draw for 10 or 12 shots. Do the same the next day and compare. Then you will see if you are having form issues.

Also, opening both eyes when shooting helps. [8D]
Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

nevermind
Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Spike

you can also make sure your bow is tuned properly and make sure your arrows are spined correctly. paper test your bow to see if you arrows are kicking when they leave the bow. if you have any more questions justP.M. me its really simple
Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

If you are shooting fairly consistent groups except for a couple of arrows, then you could have an arrow problem. I always take a marking pen and number my arrows. If you check the arrows that are not in your group and it is the same arrow or two, you could have a cracked arrow or one with a weaker or stiffer spine than the others. If the arrows that are outside you group are not the same ones each time, then it is probably a grip or form problem. You know what I mean, the nut behind the wheel. If you work at it, you will get it straightened out.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

JD- I just started numbering my arrows for this reason. It is kinda neat to see which arrow is off consistantly, especially when all the other arrows find their mark.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Believe it or not Randy Ulmer told me about numbering arrows at Ben Avery Archery Range about twelve years ago. I was at the practice butts and consistently had one flyer every group I shot. He told me to number the arrows and sure enough it was the same arrow each time. I checked it over every way I thought I could and couldn't find anything wrong with it. When I got home I heated the point and pulled it out only to find the arrow was cracked about a 1/2 inch from the bottom. I have had several occasions since then where I found it was the same arrow that was not flying consistently due to having them numbered. I hope that numbering your arrows helps you solve your problem.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 AM

Started numbering my arrows last year before I started shooting, hasn't helped solve any problems yet, but will make it easier to find one if something does occur.