Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The end of the road >

The end of the road

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The end of the road

Old 08-26-2007, 07:08 AM

Default RE: The end of the road

Dave, your story brought a tear to my eye. My uncle, the man that got me into bow hunting, passed away when I was 16 from a rare form of kidney cancer, he was only 34 years old. When this happened I was crushed and didn't hunt for 5 years. Then one night as I was laying in bed thinking I realized that the greatest respect I could give him was to start hunting again. I never felt closer to him than I did on that first morning back in the woods.
You gave this man one more year doing what he loves and THAT is the greatest gift anyone could ever ask for. You are truly a stand up guy in my book. My hat is off to you buddy, you have all my respect. I truly wish you and your father have a great year together and many, many more to come.
I feel you should print this out and give this to your dad to let him know how you feel. It would be the greatest and proudestmoment in his life to find out how his son feels about him.
Congrats man, you setan example for every hunter here young and old, man or woman.

Mark
Old 08-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I emailed the letter to my dad last night and he called me at 11:30 PM to tell me how much it meant to him. Very little was said between us but I could tell by his voice how much it meant to him.

I'm proud of the guys on HNI. What a great group of people. I see that a lot of you have the same feelings, sentiments, and passion for hunting, life, and family as I do.

Life flies by way too fast and if we are "too busy" to take the time to relax and spend time in the woods by ourselves or with loved ones soon it will be too late and we've missed out on one of the greatest joys of life. I've been guilty of that over the past few years and decided his year it was time to get back in the game.

Good luck to all of you this hunting season.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is heckuva story. I am thinking that is the definition of "Pay it Forward." Be proud of yourself for what you are doing with your father and what you did for the old man you helped out...
Old 08-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Stuff... could someone pass me a tissue please?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, that was just awesome. After reading that, I started thinking about my Dad and I'd like to share a story with you.
First of all, Dad was a coal miner and a chemical worker. He and Mom raised 15 of us and they both worked very hard to put food on the table and clothes on our back and to keep us in school and in church. Dad didn't teach me to hunt and I can only remember once ever hunting with him but in his later years he became very interested in my deer hunting. You see, he didn't hunt but would always ask if I had any luck and was all ears when I had a story to tell. When I would get a deer with my bow or gun, I'd take it to him and he would be just as proud as if he had got it himself. My brothers and I have several pictures of Dad posing with deer we had killed. Dad passed away on June 3rd, 2003, just 10 days before his 89th birthday. That fall, I was hunting down at the farm and the first morning I was lucky enough to take a nice 8 pointer with my bow. As I was dragging it past the old farm house to my truck, something came over me. I dropped the deer and turned to look at the house and fully expected Dad to be standing there with that big smile on his face just waiting to hear the story of the hunt. Well, of course he wasn't there, in body anyway, but his spirit was and I felt it so strongly that I thanked him for all the sacrifices he must have made to raise such a large family and all he had taught me about working hard and being responsible. We sold the farm and I haven't been back there to hunt since but every time I take a deer with my gun or bow, I think of how much it ment to Dad to get to share it with me and now I realize just how much it means to me to have done that.
Dave, if the old fellow gets his deer this fall, I'm sure he'll send up a prayer thanking God for guys like yourself who are always willing to help out an older person in need. May God bless you and your Dad with the hunt of a lifetime.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

WV,

Thank you for sharing your story with me and the rest of the HNI gang.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im 14 and my dad is 55. He does just bout everything i could ask for, for me. Takes me to the bowshop and takes me to my hunting spots. Loves to listen to me tell my hunting stories. And he always is inthusiastic about hunting for me although he is an animal lover and doesnt hunt. I know most teens are all tough guys that dont cry but you guys are bringin tears to my eyes and chokin up my throat.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Good job Dave on helping the guy out to be able to hunt one more year. Im 20 and can not imagein being in the olders guys possition. It has got to be hard on a person to have something that was once so easy become so difficult. Congrats to you dave on helping him enjoy his passion for at least one more year. And I know where you come from with your dad mine taught me at the age of 6 i started going in trees with him and I still love the trips out with him hunting. Congrats on letting your dad know how you feel about all he has done for you. Hopefully one day I can be in your shoes and help another out and be willing to man up enough to tell my dad how much what he has tought me so far and will continue to really means to me. (oh and the story brought a tear to my eye) Congrats on all you did for that man be proud and I hope it comes full circle for you. Give and you will recieve.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Dave way to go, when I get to that point in my life I hope someone is there to give mea little helpif Ineed it.

My dad is 68 and can't draw a bow anymore, I hope to get him out for a gun hunt this year. I would hate to think there is no last hunt with the man who taught me how to hunt, track and fish.

For you youngsters, I hope some day you will understand just how important it was to that old man, what Dave did for him. If yourvery lucky you will.

Paul
Old 08-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave, kudos my brother. Great post, I finally got a chance to read it. I perused it last night before taking my wife out and thought about getting back to read it.

Awe inspiring my friend and thank you for sharing that with us.

What part of Pa? I'm assuming lower half?

Anyway, keep up the great spirit and good luck in every trip to the woods.

Quick Reply: The end of the road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.