Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The end of the road >

The end of the road

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The end of the road

Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 PM

Default RE: The end of the road

Wow, thats the closest i've come to tearing up in a verryy long time. You are a great guy Dave...that man will never forget what you did for him.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM

Very good post. You should definately give a copy of the post to your dad because he might not be here tommorrow. I lost my stepdad 3 years ago and never had the chance to tell him. Died of a massive heart attack at 46 years old.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome Dave!! To love something as much as we do and to get a chance to be out thereone more season is a huge gift.
I had stopped hunting over 16 years ago,there had been a tragic death of one of my hunting partners a couple of years earlier,I had become a partner in my business and was working 70 plus hour work weeks.My father who was 65 at the time called me during rifle season and said I want you to come hunting with me,he asked me to take a friday off and go out with him.I told I couldn't that I had to much going on blah,blah,blah,I hadn't bought a license.I called him after thinking about it for a little while and said Dad I want to go out let's plan on it.
We went out I shot a buck after about two hours of hunting.I couldn't believe being in the woods that morning and seeing what I had been missing,I missed it so much and I hadn't been conscious enough to realize it.From that moment on after family and business hunting became my passion.
I think we all have a weak spot for the entusiasm of youth and the love and passion of the elderly.High fives to you Dave that was a great gesture! I hope that gentleman and yourself kill the bucks of your dreams this year!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

Nice story . Makes you realize whatallot of us take for granted.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:17 PM

Great post Dave. Glad to hear that you were willing to help and that he was willing to accept it.

I also hunt with my father every year. Try to always make it out opening day of rifle season with him.Its a tradition.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

Captain you make me proud, your a winner in my book. Oh how often I have dreamed of going on a hunt with my father. Enjoy every moment!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Great story dave that is hitting home with me as well. My 69 yr. old fatherinlaw is in the process of selling his archery equipment because he is no longer able to draw and shoot his bows. In fact I sold his Switchback here in the Archery classified section. He is buying a crossbow and if he can't get it locked back he is adding a cocking mechanism(crank?). I'm sure glad he trying another route.......he is the one who started me shooting and bowhunting many years ago.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Dave, I can honestly say that I probably would have done the same, but did you help the old man or did you just help him qualify ?
I am not the judge in all of this but if the man would be 30 years younger would you have helped him then ? Or if the man would have been disabled ?
I know it is a tough call, but like BowhunterJim said, some people shouldn't be driving. In this I mean to say that bowhunting or hunting in itself isn't a game.
This gentleman has found himself at a point in his life where he should decide for himself that he had a bunch of fine years of hunting behind him.
I there is a point in your life you should call it quits...
I would, my dad did......
I hate to see this old man shoot and hit poorly, not because of the deer he'll wound or make suffer but for himself and how this would make him feel.
I all so hope you didn't make him feel that confident again that he'll try and go bearhunting with his crossbow.
But Dave, I do understand your story. I can only say that I found myself in that position once and that that old man was more deer to me at that time than anything else in the world. My dad then had the guts to tell me he had hadit and that he appreciated my help. I lost my best hikingbuddy and tracker then....
I hope when the time comes and I can no longer draw or aim my bow that I'll gently put it down and try and pass it along to my son or grandson.
Because that is what growing old is all about, sharing your knowledge and passing it down....

Frank
Old 08-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

i would love to hunt with my dad im only 20 hes turning 50 soon but hes an animal lover but doesent mind that i hunt just that i stay safe but i did get him into shed hunting and he loves fishing so i do that with him whenever i can
Old 08-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Incredible post, and a pleasure to read.

Reminds me of my grandfather. He taught me everything he knew about hunting and the outdoorsto the best of his abilities. He too went through "the end of the road". His last hunt was with an old friend named Stutz. They got up in a box together during shotgun week and managed to kill a decent 7 pointer. Niether one of them could hardly see, but what a way to go out. He never hunted again after that. One year later Stutz passed on. Pop lived for a few more years but was suffering from bone cancer and passed on as well. At the viewing my brother and I placed a picture of Stutz and Pop with their buck on his chest along with two veryold buckshot in his front pocket.

Thanks for sharing, It's good hear of anelder being helped to enjoy some more time in the outdoors.

Quick Reply: The end of the road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.