Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dilema...

Old 08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default dilema...

i been working for a landscaping company all summer.

we worked at a guys house that is a millionare...he USED to work for the same company as i do...now he got into money and we work for him[:-]

but the area is BIG houses and alot of good sized woodlots.

he organized a hunting club...he got pretty much the WHOLE area to go along with it. normally they dont allow hunting. now, with the club, they allow it...they got some rules like take a doe before you hunt and no gutting in the woods and things like that..65$ a year dues...shooting test to prove you are a good enough shot to take a deer etc...the area holds ALOT of deer and a good number of BIG bucks for the area. not sure but i heard you pretty much get a farm to yourself for the season...

myself....i dont like the direction hunting is heading...leases, hunt clubs etc...but i dont know...thats the only way into the area...and its probably worth the 65$. with that money id imagine that they pay the landowners for permission to hunt....most these guys are rich and 65$ dont mean much to them so i doubt they are making money...just kind of a system they got goin on. even got the local cops in on it..

i just dont know what to do. i know its kinda MY decision...its not a highfenced hunt...i do my own scouting and stand hanging etc...just kinda....paying to hunt. the thought of upping my odds at a good buck just kinda drive me. i never thought id do such a thing...i dont like that stuff...but in areas like that, its kind of a win win situation. hunters band together and gain permission together...landowners get the deer herd in check...the deer herd gets in check and sharp shooters dont get called in...

i dont know...opinions? thoughts? anyone do anything similar?? pretty sure they dont let new guys in till spring...think the shooting "test" is in march or something. but when i decide i can talk to the guys and get more info etc...id LIKE to get in there IN febuary and march and scout my heart out...i feel that doing that would most definently up my odds at seeing more deer and bucks and upping my odds at getting a shot at a good buck....i dont know
Old 08-24-2007, 04:34 PM

Default RE: dilema...

I say go for it! $65 is a steal for an oppurtunity likethat. I would even try to get in now before season opens.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really dont know what to tell you except that if they've got some dandy bucks in thereI know Id pay to do it.

But its your decision.........................Good Luck
Old 08-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You call that a dilemma? I call it opportunity.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM

I'd take a deal like that in a heartbeat as long as it was all legal and no fishy business going on behind the scenes! Problem is most hunting clubs I've come across don't allow women members to join.[:'(] I only wish I had an opportunity as good as yours!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol...see you guys think like 3/4s of my thinks...

the other 1/4 says "youve always been against it and said you wouldnt pay to hunt EVER..dont feed what you dont like"

but i kinda shut that 1/4 up by realizing what that group does is actually SMART and a great idea....

and before the group, most of it didnt get hunted hardly...theres definently good bucks...and id imagine those guys are trophy hunters...they might kick me out for killin a 2.5yo...but id get him mounted

i just remembered my mom works for DOCTORS...alot of them got land. pretty sure one got ALOT of land in that same area....i might beat the 65$ lol....so im going to see if she cant talk to them and get me sole permission on GREAT hunting land. see how that goes..

and talk to that group and see what we cant work out. your right...65$ aint nothin to pay for a decint chance at what id call a GOOD buck. the guy we were workin for today got a couple 140s+ walkin his farm. the surrounding land is all the same land...and only hunted by that group. come rut time, i want to be in a GOOD bottle neck
Old 08-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's no garuntees in anything. Just cause you get to hunt a good area doesn't mean its going to be automatic. I got a buddy who I consider a good hunter in the parks program, he sees some bucks that would blow your mind, but he's yet to tag one. They still don't get that big by being dumb.

$65 is not much, and it probably goes for insurance as part of allowing the organization to hunt. If you did $65 worth of work for a farmer, you done the same already.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

$65?!? Hell yeah! Do it! Huntin Clubs around here cost anywhere from $200-1200!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at it this way: You're not actually paying to hunt, you're paying for access to certain land. It just so happens that you are allowed to hunt on that land. Kind of like a joint lease with some other people. If you and 3 of your buddies leased 200 acres to hunt on it wouldn't be any different other than it would probably cost you a lot more.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 PM

paying to hunt is paying to hunt i would much rather work for 65 bucks for the farmer then paying them.

Quick Reply: dilema...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.