Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 any hunters have a fear of heights? >

any hunters have a fear of heights?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any hunters have a fear of heights?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: any hunters have a fear of heights?

I build scaffold for a living, work on a 2" metal bar day in and day out, up to a couple hundred feet off the ground. However I still don't care for heights all that much. You just be careful and earn your check. I have noticed though that when I'm hunting in a stand I get the "buck jitters" pretty bad but when I'm hunting on the ground I hardly get them at all. There is one thing that you can do to help make yourself more comfortable in the tree stand is to hang it where a limb sits at about the same height as your ribcage on your draw arm side. You can use it to help stand up and sit down with. I t really does give you a little mores sense of security and also provides some cover as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, deathly afraid of heights, I have 5 ladder stands, and they are all at around 10'. I tried to put one up once, (or should I say I had my wife put one up) It was 15', and when I got up there, I couldnt even move. So I figured there was no point in going that high.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

No fear. Fear is weakness and I have no weakness.[8D]
Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

My first job when I was 17, this guy gives me a back pack with giant lightbulbs in it and just told me to climb that radio tower and dont look down. It took my 2hours to go 1560 feet straight up. I did that jobtil I turned 20 and that was enough. You learn not to drink alot the night before your scheduled climb.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

scared of heights... when i put up a stand is the worst of it though... It looks like a 30 feet up but it probably is only 15.... but once i knowthe stand is secure and that i have a safety harness on i am fine.... kinda
Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 PM

I dislike heights strongly, but I'll be up in a 16' ladder stand this season most of the season. Having a good safety harness, rails on the side of the stand, and a nice big platform help combat my fears to get me up there and staying up there.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:34 PM
OGW

I can watch someonedangling from acliff or rock climbing on TV and I cant move anything from my knees down. I literally get shooting knife pains going down towards my feet.
Yet I lived in Zephyrhills, Florida for a majority of my life and jumped out of airplanes for Fun!

Something happens when I'm hunting though...30-35ft up is not even an issue. I wear a harness when my feet leave the ground and dont even think about the height...my only concern isif my arrow can clear the limbs of a tree.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

not affraid of heights at all, just the falling part. Im comfortable in the stand up to 25 ft or so. I fell out of a stand once and havent been affraid of heights since. Its kinda backwards for me, usually bad experiences shy you away from situations but it made me more careful and realize that most of the ground I hunt in the river bottoms is soft enough that it doesnt hurt much. I fell 16ft or so and took a tree limb under the right armpit. No more bowhuntin that year.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

just scared of falling
Old 08-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

I used to be a little apprehensive about heights now they aren't so bad. After a little high angle rescue training on a 280 ft windmill 20 - 30 ft isn't so bad. Although there is quite a pucker factor going over the edge of one of those to begin your descent.

Quick Reply: any hunters have a fear of heights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.