Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 any hunters have a fear of heights? >

any hunters have a fear of heights?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any hunters have a fear of heights?

Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: any hunters have a fear of heights?

Nope, i sometimes work on a power plant smoke stack 550 ft in the air. it makes 25' not seem so high.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Im not really afraid of climbing in a climbing treestand. I dont like the screw in steps. If Im using those, I dont go very high....Oh and I dont like lean to ladders. No way uh uh...No me gusta.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 PM

To answer your question, no.

But when I was going through paratrooper training in the Army we had to jump out of a 35 ft tower all rigged up to a zip line. I asked why it was 35 ft and they told me they had done studies back in like WW2 that 35 ft was the magic height:any height above and all you know is you're high up in the air (like ridingin anairplane and looking out the window, it just doesn't register), any height below you'll freak out if you're scared of heights.

I don't know if its true or not, just passing on what they told me.

Ken
Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

I'm terrified of heights. I used to get 20 feet up on a scissors lift and freeze up. When I was layed off; a call came in for a bucket truck driver. At that time I was helping my eight month pregnant wife get her shoes on in the morning to send her off to work. That is way to hard for a man to take. Something had to give, so I took the call. I'm still scared up there but it beats the other options. 16 feet up in a treestand is like a day in the park now.On a windy day my bucket moves more than the poles I'm working on.

[/align]
Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Glad to hear im not the only one. I really want to get one of those compact climber like the Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber but there is not rail and im not sure how i will feel about that. I usually lean against my rail when climbing, i would hope that i wouldn't forget while climbing with the Lone Wolf and do a backflip off the stand.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 PM

Yeahh, I have a fear of them, 20 ft up is high enough for me.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:24 PM
bigcountry

I hate heights. First day of the season, it takes me an hour to get used to a stand and only 13ft off the ground. End of the season, i am 25ft in the air and taking shots hanging out the side of the climber using the safety strap to hold me.

I don't know how it happened or when, but when I was in High school and college, on the side, I would roof or carry shingles for roofers. And I didn't do it for 10 years, and now, hate it. Just like overnight.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm afraid of heights buttree stand heights don't bother me too much with my climber. I have a 30 foot rope to pull up my bow and there have been times when I've hit that length in the rope.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am!!!!! If I'm in my climber I am fine I can go 25 feet no problem, my hang on's 18 feet is enough!!! But since we started filming it's nice becausemost of the time we are only at about 12 feet because if you get to high the canopy for the tree's get in the way!! Walt
Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Fear of heights? ......no not really , fear of falling?........hmmm maybe, fear of the sudden stop at the bottom? .........YES!!!!

Quick Reply: any hunters have a fear of heights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.